Non A-body question

-

SGBARRACUDA

ROY
Legendary Member
Reaction score
I was hoping someone here owns a new 1500 Ram 4x4 that has installed a leveling kit on the front and has some advice on what works the best while maintaining the nice smooth ride it has?

Hey Roy, they lift it, but the soft ride is gone. Mine is lifted 3 1/2 in front and 1 1/2 in the rear I put lots of 2 and 2 1/2 in and there not much better. U must have a wheel alignment done after the install. Kim

Hey Roy, they lift it, but the soft ride is gone. Mine is lifted 3 1/2 in front and 1 1/2 in the rear I put lots of 2 and 2 1/2 in and there not much better. U must have a wheel alignment done after the install. Kim
What about just a leveling kit for the front? Any worth a damn?

That’s the 2 and 2 1/2 I was talking about. They r a spacer. Also can get some shocks that will lift it by the use of a snap ring in different heights from 1 to 4 inches. They r a much better ride, still stiffer than stock. I can’t think of what brand they r , but they were silver with a yellow and blue label. If I were to do mine over I would do the shock. Kim

Leveling kit.... put a few hundred pounds in the bed. It'll be level and ride even smoother.....LOL.
:poke:

Seriously tho, I get that it'll look good sitting level, but after you lift the front to be level, any time you do haul a few hundred pounds in the bed, you'll be transferring more weight off the front suspension, blinding other drivers with your misaligned headlights and shooting the stars with your headlights if you really use it as a truck....just sayin.
:poke::poke::poke:

Lots of truck use unlevelling kits around here.
Usually 2”.
I had issues replacing axle shafts after a levelling kit was installed.
The new axles wouldnt flex to the angle needed to install. I think some slightly used axles would have gone in.they were tight.
First time i had a problem like that.
I wont go into what lift is better.
No matter what tires you are making clearance for,they will wear. 30,000 kilometere is about the average life of most oversised tires.
Knobby ones grind off faster.
Finding tires that last, i havent seen many.

Well on my 07 2500 Dodge 4x4 CTD I run Bridgestone AT Revo2. with the leveling kit in the front. Last set I got 88K miles out of them. I'm not going to change tires. I just want it to sit level.

Well on my 07 2500 Dodge 4x4 CTD I run Bridgestone AT Revo2. with the leveling kit in the front. Last set I got 88K miles out of them. I'm not going to change tires. I just want it to sit level.
Funny you should mention bridgestone tires. They wear well and bfg’s stand up good too.

Roy, the thing is, you made a sensible tire choice. Not as aggressive, quieter and a smooth running tire.

I ran dunlop rvxt’s on my power wagon,35x12.50’s they are not a lumpy tire at all, and scads of miles on them.
That truck plowed snow for years with those tires/4” lift.

Oh yeah, long gone are the days of running Super Swampers, Ground Hogs, ETC. I like it smooth and quiet now days.

I can vouch for the Bilstein leveling shocks. They worked incredibly well at leveling and offer an even better ride than stock.
This was on my previous 2007 1500 though. I know the newer 1500s are much smoother from the factory now, so cant say how improved your ride will be.
I now have a 16 2500 Power Wagon which has a factory 2" lift. Ive been debating getting the Bilsteins to level this one too. Just havent got around to it.
Also, they are pretty easy to put on yourself. But youll obviously need an alignment anyways so might just make sense to let the shop do it.
Good luck!

Do u have the shocks? 4 grooves right?Bottom is stock height. The top groove is too high for my liking. Measure ur truck first, side to side and front to rear At the wheel lips. I’d do the next 1 down from the top. If u think u need more lift u could always change it. Kim

Do u have the shocks? 4 grooves right?Bottom is stock height. The top groove is too high for my liking. Measure ur truck first, side to side and front to rear At the wheel lips. I’d do the next 1 down from the top. If u think u need more lift u could always change it. Kim
I ordered them. Thanks I'll do that.

If I remember right, it was the 2nd from top in the front as Kimmer mentioned.
Another thing is you will have to adjust your headlights. Otherwise you will get more than half the other drivers flashing their brights thinking yours are on. Must be the angle.

Installed my leveling kit Wednesday night. Going to the dump today to remove it.
20180831_105038.jpg

-
Back