Non mopar hurst shifter ID help

-

d55dave

Reaction score
This summer I acquired this hurst shifter. The problem is I have no idea what it is from. The guy that I got it from thought that it was first generation firebird. I have searched the internet and have not been able to verify that, and cannot find pictures of anything remotely similar. Based on the hurst script it must be 68 or later. The shifter is quite short and the part of the hurst shift box that the handle is clipped into has a fairly pronounced tilt away from the driver.

Has anyone seen a shifter like this before, any idea what it is from?

IMG_20191117_140936.jpg

IMG_20191117_140941.jpg

IMG_20191117_141008.jpg

IMG_20191117_141011.jpg

IMG_20191117_141035.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you thought about sending Hurst a few pictures?

Have you removed the handle from the shifter and checked for the Hurst part number at the bottom of the handle?

Yes, If there is a part number it will be on one side near the bottom.
To remove the handle from the shifter I would first spray down the area where the handle mounts to the shifter with some penetrating oil.
To remove the handle you need to push a .010'"feeler gauge down the drivers side of the handle between the side of the handle and the sheet metal spring clip.
When you think you have bottomed out the feeler gauge, you then pull up on the handle while holding the feeler gage in position.
It will probably help if you mount the shifter in a vice while doing this.

This summer I acquired this hurst shifter. The problem is I have no idea what it is from. The guy that I got it from thought that it was first generation firebird. I have searched the internet and have not been able to verify that, and cannot find pictures of anything remotely similar. Based on the hurst script it must be 68 or later. The shifter is quite short and the part of the hurst shift box that the handle is clipped into has a fairly pronounced tilt away from the driver.

Has anyone seen a shifter like this before, any idea what it is from?

View attachment 1715424758

View attachment 1715424759

View attachment 1715424760

View attachment 1715424761

View attachment 1715424762
Try the hurst shifter doctor he rebuilds shifters he can tell you

Thanks all, I have sold this to a chevy guy. General consensus is that it is in fact early firebird.
I've been told you ID them from the number on the main bodies reverse lever. I have half a dozen that have no numbers at all. It is frustrating.

-
Back