Northern Radiator Fan Shrouds?

-

coalman

Reaction score
Have any of you had any experience with their Hurricane Engine Driven Shrouds? Looking at using one on my 66 Dart Champion Radiator. Thanks

They look promising due to the distance from the radiator and the tapered sides

Coalman, what engine are you running in the 66? I have Champion radiators in my 65 Valiant and my 66 Cuda with small blocks. Not a whole lot of room in there with the engine driven fans.

Thanks, you are right on the engine compartment room. I believe they will not work, not even close. It is a 360, I am going to try a 7 blade 18" fan over the 17" 6 blade, and hope that works. Gets warm sitting at lights down here in Texas in the summer. What are using for fans? Thanks again...

I was using just a plain engine driven fan. I'll have to look at it when I get home. Got tired of the whirling noise from the fan. Switched to 2- 9" electric fans on the Cuda and I've got 10" on the Valiant. I'm using a 180 thermostat and a 190 degree fan switch. Works great and the whirling noise is gone. No more engine fan for me. I used a setup like this on the Cuda except I used a 190 degree fan temp switch in my intake manifold instead of the radiator hose adapter. Works great.
DUAL 9" INCH ELECTRIC RADIATOR COOLING FAN 38MM IN-LINE HOSE 180F THERMOSTAT KIT | eBay
This is the ebay store. Prices are fair and they have a lot of different setups.

American Volt | eBay Stores

Thanks for the input. I have read both pro and cons on electric fans. I don't mind the noise on the car, it is pretty loud from the engine and exhaust to begin with.

I didn't have much luck with electric fans many years ago. Burned up fan controllers and such. Not using a controller anymore with the Cuda. Just the temp switch. My fans on the Valiant are controlled by the Fitech system. Doing my 3rd car with fans this week.

Last edited:
Coalman, Derale 17318 was the engine driven fan I was using for 6 years. My motor is a 318 late 70s with power steering. no a/c. If you can use it, it's yours for shipping cost.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input. I have read both pro and cons on electric fans. I don't mind the noise on the car, it is pretty loud from the engine and exhaust to begin with.
We've never had any luck with a true street car here in Tampa. I know quite a few car guys here. Not that that means anything.

Ya gotta run a shroud here! But with a old as heck flex fan, 180 w/ a 180. 340 Duster. Goes down as driven, but when it hot out, at a long light, it creeps up to 190 or so. I haven't ran the clutch fan set I got here yet, (Thanks RustyRatRod, and Bob McCarty!

Thank you all! I just have trouble at idle at long traffic lights, it is hot in the summer in Texas. Just seems to me that at idle it doesn't have enough air flow coming through the radiator. I installed a160 thermostat and that helped a lot, it still climbs up to 180 or so at a long light, not a big deal I guess. I also have a trans cooler in front of the condenser both affect the air flow.

-
Back