NOS stock 340 cam from wholesaler worth the risk?

-
If I were going to install a flat tappet cam, I would make absolutely sure the lifter bores are clean and that the new lifters fit the bores freely and can turn freely. Follow the cam manufacturer's directions for lubricating the new cam with break-in lube. For hydraulic lifters you HAVE to check that the lifter preload is correct. You cannot assume that a stock replacement cam will have the correct preload with the stock pushrods, because it could be ground on a different base circle which would affect lifter preload. DO NOT soak the new lifters in oil, DO NOT pump the new lifters up outside of the engine installation. The lifters will fill just fine on initial startup. Another thing to watch for is lifter and pushrod spin. I have old valve covers which I temporarily install for initial startup, which I have modified with holes so I can visually verify that the pushrods are spinning. If the lifters don't spin the lifter/cam lobe will wear prematurely, and you'll send a bunch of metal thruout the engine, and you'll be tearing back into that engine.
Im well aware of the damage caused by wiping a cam lobe. Valve covers with inspection holes for start up sounds like an interesting idea. How much oil does the engine puke out during your cam break in with holy valve covers?

Im well aware of the damage caused by wiping a cam lobe. Valve covers with inspection holes for start up sounds like an interesting idea. How much oil does the engine puke out during your cam break in with holy valve covers?

Holy valve covers Batman...
moparsmiley.gif

Not that much. I have two styles. One pair has (8) 1/2" holes on the intake side of each valve cover. I just lay some shop rags down along that edge of the v.c.
The other pair has the top of the v.c. removed. I use those for lower rpm(idle speed) inspection of valve train.

Sorry Rusty, I don't buy engine parts from Ebay and Amazon and off the wall places. I got stung in the past. No more. No one to contact if there are issues.

The only thing odd is the tappet number in post #8, HT999; cannot find that in my SP catalog.

Sorry Rusty, I don't buy engine parts from Ebay and Amazon and off the wall places. I got stung in the past. No more. No one to contact if there are issues.
I understand, but that doesn't mean they aren't available.

I understand, but that doesn't mean they aren't available.
Ya and I looked up CS-644 as soon as I saw the number listed here. Summit said "not available" as did Rock Auto. I couldn't even find it listed on Jegs site.

Ya and I looked up CS-644 as soon as I saw the number listed here. Summit said "not available" as did Rock Auto. I couldn't even find it listed on Jegs site.
Whoever thought this stuff would be so tough to find? Melling, Sealed Power and the like used to be available in EVERY NAPA store in the country and sometimes IN STOCK. I never thought I'd see the day. I guess we're just dinosaurs.

Whoever thought this stuff would be so tough to find? Melling, Sealed Power and the like used to be available in EVERY NAPA store in the country and sometimes IN STOCK. I never thought I'd see the day. I guess we're just dinosaurs.
True there.

Hey Karl, you have the link that you could post to your 340 cam thread? (Not the how to thread?) I am on vacation and the internet sucks here. Thanks.

I'm not sure which thread you are referring to besides the how to thread link that I posted on the first page of this thread...

-
Back