Not a a body BUT, my project

-

mopar56

Reaction score
So full disclosure...I don't actually own a abody, I have in the past, I actually only joined this forum years ago to help my son restore his two Dusters. I have a 56 a Dodge pickup it's a utiline modle , I got it 32 years ago, the longest I've ever owned a vehicle YET I've never driven it, I took it apart as soon as i got it, figured I'd have it back together in a few years, lol, life and kids got in the way. Anyway this weekend I got most of it back from the body shop, ( they still have the box) why? The body shop was moving, anyway, it's sitting on a modified 81 Dodge 1/2 ton frame, the motor is a 318 from a 71 dart, so I'm sort of a abody, it's got a a833 cast iron I pulled from a 69 cuda about 25 years ago, 8 3/4 rear. Solid oak custom bed in the back from Hindsight restoration in Saskatchewan, ( highly recommended) Still lots to do this winter but I plan on driving the hell out of it this summer. The colour...British Racing Green...from a mini.

Screenshot_20221125-174709_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20221125-174654_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20221125-174637_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20221125-174637_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20221125-174654_Gallery.jpg

Friend of mine has an early 50s Ford that he's owned for at least 40 years. He's never driven it, same story, life, kids, etc. He built a motor for it over 20 years ago, never been fired, starting to think it will never be put back together.

At least you have made some progress on yours.
:thumbsup:

Thanks guys, just before I took it to the body shop last May I had it running but not for long, I suspect a bad fuel pump, it only seemed to run if I forced fed it fuel, also I didn't see any oil pressure but I suspect it's just the gauge, now I have it back ill replace the fuel pump and put on a Manual op gauge for testing purpose, I'll post more photos as I go and when I get the box back on.

Beautiful truck Brother! Wish I had fixed my 72 D200 4 door I camouflaged! For a big *** heavy truck at 318 with that Dana behind it would peel the freaking tires off it! Bought it out of a farm for 400 bucks...

man, that is so dang cool! I love this series of dodge truck much more than anything that was produced by the other mfgrs at the time.

this is probably what I'll build for myself next (that is if a client doesn't have me do one) and just keep it mellow with a R 2.8 and an automatic.

color is great on that thing!

Looking good. I picked this 1958 Chevy up for $3000. this summer and just scored a good running rotted frame 5.3 RWD 98 Chevy pickup to put in it.

T1.jpeg

T2 (1).jpeg

i kick myself quite frequently for getting rid of my 56 stepside longbed. Loveed the pancake hood on it!

Thanks, BTW if anyone has an idea to do a old truck, best advice I have is just put it on a late modle frame, BIG time saver, I spent years dicking around with the oem frame and Volare clip which I finnaly scrapped in favor of the 81 frame , if I did it again I would use a Dakota frame cause it's narrower. Even if it isn't a Dodge just get a frame that's close to what your project is.

My new neighbor has a 53 or so Dodge truck he wants to sell. Looks just like yours but not anywhere near as nice looking. (He's a Chevy guy too) He put an 81 D250 frame under it. He asked me if I wanted to buy it, (cheap) but I have enough stuff in my yard as is. Looks like it could be a pretty cool project for someone though. I can get more details, price & pics if anyone is interested.

Last edited:
Thanks, BTW if anyone has an idea to do a old truck, best advice I have is just put it on a late modle frame, BIG time saver, I spent years dicking around with the oem frame and Volare clip which I finnaly scrapped in favor of the 81 frame , if I did it again I would use a Dakota frame cause it's narrower. Even if it isn't a Dodge just get a frame that's close to what your project is.
That's what I did with mine, I used a '92 Dakota frame. Other than being shortened to 108", it's all stock stuff. Suspension, steering, even the fuel tank.

20201101_155554.jpg

I should have used the Dakota chassis but I really wanted to use the A833 instead of the Dakota 5 spd, in hindsight the Dakota would have been the better choice, oh well it's done or almost anyway. Nice looking truck I was going to go the patina route but decided I deserved a nice paint job and so did the truck!

My 47 sedan has a similar hood ornament with a Ram’s head.

Got the light rings back from the chrome shop and installed, the lights are Frenched! I am very happy with the result, now I just need the box back from the damn body shop! They say mid February, fingers crossed !

Screenshot_20230127_191318_Messages.jpg

Screenshot_20230127_191224_Messages.jpg

Screenshot_20230127_191308_Messages.jpg

Nice truck!

Is that BRG metallic?

I’d like to french the headlights on my 47 Dodge sedan. Yours look great!

Cant believe you're posting a truck on a bodies… hahahahaha just kidding.
Wicked truck!!
Love the stance.
There's nothing like cruzing around in those old trucks with the unique dash and interior.
Looks like you're winning the battle.
Enjoy.

Interior is mostly done, I made the door cards, sills, and just finishing the wood trim for the custom headliner I made, I'll post a picture of that when it's done. I added a interior light and a under hood light, both LED of course. Now if I could just get the damn box back from the body shop it's been there just short of a year now but I'm supposed to get it back soon.

Screenshot_20230319_193439_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230319_193413_Gallery.jpg

My avatar is a 51 fargo. Rat Rod. Stock chassis with a 360/727. Love it!
Next is a 50 studebaker on s10 chassis, i stretched the box to fit frame. Also staying ratty as its pretty beat up. Want to keep the look of it. Made 25 videos to keep a record of my foolishness.

3D723F94-B438-4199-8FB4-2711158214F2.jpeg

-
Back