NOT a very good sign for the value of mopar muscle cars

-
Completely understand your point Slopar72. My biggest issue now is I'm fast becoming more and more worried about having an accident in a car I built to enjoy. Because parts like fenders are so hard to get for 67-69Cuda's , I'm afraid a mediocre accident could keep me sidelined for months. If the prices start going way up on A-Bodies, it makes more business sense for the suppliers to make them.

Drive it like you stole it! I bet in the end it all works out.... I learned long ago that things like an accident sometimes just be avoided.... An example if me installing an intake and carburetor on a freshly restored and custom painted 1st gen Monte Carlo and a damn Bambi lol.... Finished it up and was test driving it when the ol' girl come flying across a field and went head first into a fender. It was when I learned #%& happens lol....

JW

Good let the prices come down, maybe I’ll be able to afford one of my bucket list cars someday....

I'm not a flipper so the market really doesn't matter to me, my cars worth remains the same to me and has nothing to do with the market. Prices have been inflated lately in my opinion. And as far as stuffing a hellcat crate and everything to make it super cool well to each their own but I'm much rather see a highly modified era correct motor in one of our cars then a big buck crate.

Exactly!

Everyone has a good reason for what they prefer and why, that's what I have always loved about this hobby. It doesn't matter at the end of the day whether you are a Mopar nut, Ford freak, or Chevy crazy. Enjoy your ride the way you want to, for me that means I have to get out and drive it, I don't care what it's worth to anyone else and I didn't get involved in the hobby to be a flipper, I do that with the newer daily driver everyday stuff. I have had modern performance cars, they are hard to beat for the price, but there's a different feeling in an old hot rod, whether it's the adventure or the idea that it is something that I built myself, and not a cookie cutter car I can't say, I just know it is fun.

You enjoy the journey and the destination.... Most don't. Built it and run the wheels off it. Don't end up laying on your death bed wishing you had taken Mary rotten crotch out for a cool evenings drive in you hotrod lol.... I have always enjoyed any old iron. But I will say that if I had a choice of what was the most fun it was a 64 1/2 Mustang convertible I restored. Red with black top. That was fun to drive around..... And it turned heads with conversations from people I would never meet again. A neat time in my life....

JW

Restomods are cool, but I cringe every time someone hacks up a numbers matching muscle car to do it. For god’s sake use a plain Jane car that has no collectability unless its originality cannot be retained.

Completely understand your point Slopar72. My biggest issue now is I'm fast becoming more and more worried about having an accident in a car I built to enjoy. Because parts like fenders are so hard to get for 67-69Cuda's , I'm afraid a mediocre accident could keep me sidelined for months. If the prices start going way up on A-Bodies, it makes more business sense for the suppliers to make them.
I hear you. I have had my street GTX for 3 years now. (It replaced a VERY simular car I had to sell in my younger times. That HAUNTED me. But that a different story.) In the 2000 miles I have been run off the road twice. And car was hit at my local pub's parking lot. I just took my first sip from my beer when the biggest cop I've ever seen walks in asking "Who owns the green GTX?" I said "I do sir." I followed him to the parking lot to see my GTX rear bumper buried in a very scared Uber driver's grill. We pulled the cars apart. I can see no body panel was involved. But couldn't see condition of bumper at night. I said "Settle down.at worse you owe a bumper." The next day? I couldn't even find a smudge mark. That steel bumper destroyed his plastic front end. Lol. But it does seem that traffic is aiming for the car? I know its just me worrying. But my Cadillac or truck doesn't seen to have the "Close calls" Just another another road story.

I hear you. I have had my street GTX for 3 years now. (It replaced a VERY simular car I had to sell in my younger times. That HAUNTED me. But that a different story.) In the 2000 miles I have been run off the road twice. And car was hit at my local pub's parking lot. I just took my first sip from my beer when the biggest cop I've ever seen walks in asking "Who owns the green GTX?" I said "I do sir." I followed him to the parking lot to see my GTX rear bumper buried in a very scared Uber driver's grill. We pulled the cars apart. I can see no body panel was involved. But couldn't see condition of bumper at night. I said "Settle down.at worse you owe a bumper." The next day? I couldn't even find a smudge mark. That steel bumper destroyed his plastic front end. Lol. But it does seem that traffic is aiming for the car? I know its just me worrying. But my Cadillac or truck doesn't seen to have the "Close calls" Just another another road story.
I think the reason the old iron is more likely to be in a collision is because of the attention it draws. How many 69 GTX's do you see daily compared to how many Prius or Camry, etc. Just like a gorgeous girl walking down the street, it draws attention. In the 15 years that I drove my 70 Dart daily in the summer months, it was in 1 minor collision, an old lady cut across my lane to make a left turn and I just barely bumped the side of her car. She didn't even know that she had been in a collision. That's my theory and I'm stickin' to it.

I think the reason the old iron is more likely to be in a collision is because of the attention it draws. How many 69 GTX's do you see daily compared to how many Prius or Camry, etc. Just like a gorgeous girl walking down the street, it draws attention. In the 15 years that I drove my 70 Dart daily in the summer months, it was in 1 minor collision, an old lady cut across my lane to make a left turn and I just barely bumped the side of her car. She didn't even know that she had been in a collision. That's my theory and I'm stickin' to it.
But like a pretty girl? Other things typically get hit. Not the girl. The Uber guy (I believe) was on his phone. And began rolling not realizing. Until he hit me. Obviously wasn't a high impact. One of the run off the road? The guy somehow didn't see me. And just swung over multiple lanes wanting my lane. How I came out if the ditch and not hit a couple signs was a miracle. I thought for sure I scrapped one going by. Even thought I heard it. But stopped and looked? Nothing. (By the way? B-bodies go pretty good off road? The Duke Boys showed off some of the car's capabilities.)

I watched one of those mid morning car shows. (I believe it was Road & Track. Or Motor Trend) They were comparing 2000 something Camaro, Mustang and then new Challenger. (Pre SRT/Hellcat) Challenging the public complaint that none of them handled all that well on road course. They confirmed. With average lap times. Camaro won by a little. At the end of the show they brought out a stock base model '69 Charger to try. They were laughing at the attempt. The test driver saying he has never driven this era Chrysler. He gave it a go. The Charger matched the Camaro's time. The driver approached the crew saying. "It handles better than you would think. There is some body roll. But the 383 was strong enough to pull out of trouble." I laughed and talking to the TV. Try a GTX? With some meatier front tires? The GTX comes with the heavier torsion bars. And add period available sway bars? It handles remarkably well. My first GTX had. And with front 60s tires on those 14" rims? I've smacked many of passengers heads against the side window. If you have drum brakes all the way around? Well that can be a little scary. My current has front disc's. That makes a significant difference.

Yup, it's happening. When I worked with Matt, we did two 62 Corvettes. One 300HP 327 4 speed and one 340HP 4 speed. Both numbers cars. Matt twisted both customers' arms into a full blown resto mod restore. Mustang II fronts, IFS rears, LS motors with OD transmissions....the works. Both cars had the complete numbers drivetrains and both ran.....though the 340HP car had been in a garage fire, it still ran and had really no bad damage. I didn't like doing those cars like that. Matt even convinced both of them that they didn't need to keep any of the original parts off the cars.

But, that's the direction everything is going.
Did Chevrolet have VINs on the engines in 1962 ? Ma Mopar didn't start until 1968 and it was only a part of the VIN.

That is the final product?
I had this picture in my files for awhile....

HC wagon.jpg

The resto mod is just the next step in automotive-doom. Just modern version of hot rodding.
I figured 30 year ago, the 30-50s street rod deal would make its way into our 60;s 70s cars, it has.
I had a guy in his 50 s come try out a car I had for sale. Yes an old Mopar car with a carb! He gets in and turns the key, never gave the pedal a couple of pumps, nothing. I asked him IF he remembered driving any car with a carb? He says well yea duh!!!

If o could afford the swap i would definitely swap in a 6.2l 392 , stock Hp add a cam and tune that all you need and mpg's in the 20's! No brainer.

I chimed in on the first page and was amazed 24hrs later we are on Page 3 lol!

I spoke to a representative from AMD a few years ago about fenders for Demons. His answer surprised me. So for every stamp press they need two halves - top and bottom. It is about ( at that time 10years ago) $100,000 per set. You need 2 sets of two. A drivers side and a passenger side set. That $200,000.00 for one fender. So on a 71’ Demon vs a 72’ Demon that is $400,000.00 because of the marker light difference. They did not want to make a blank fender where the customer cuts in the marker light (or does not) for “liability reasons” what ever that meant on a 50 year old car.... anyhow AMD has millions in forms. Then they have to wear house the new fenders. Most states charge property taxes on parts sitting for more than 3 months. Plus every time they are moved there is risk of damage.

my point is there is a lot of profit in making a fender sale but compared to the work load and over head especially in a market where people are tying to feed their family over “new fender for the cuda.” It’s not a good business model to expand when the world is trying to survive.

I chimed in on the first page and was amazed 24hrs later we are on Page 3 lol!

I spoke to a representative from AMD a few years ago about fenders for Demons. His answer surprised me. So for every stamp press they need two halves - top and bottom. It is about ( at that time 10years ago) $100,000 per set. You need 2 sets of two. A drivers side and a passenger side set. That $200,000.00 for one fender. So on a 71’ Demon vs a 72’ Demon that is $400,000.00 because of the marker light difference. They did not want to make a blank fender where the customer cuts in the marker light (or does not) for “liability reasons” what ever that meant on a 50 year old car.... anyhow AMD has millions in forms. Then they have to wear house the new fenders. Most states charge property taxes on parts sitting for more than 3 months. Plus every time they are moved there is risk of damage.

my point is there is a lot of profit in making a fender sale but compared to the work load and over head especially in a market where people are tying to feed their family over “new fender for the cuda.” It’s not a good business model to expand when the world is trying to survive.
They made quarter panels (both sides) for 2nd gen Barracuda's. Maybe when they started stamping parts for an old car they should've figured if the customer needs a quarter panel maybe they just might need other major parts for the rest of the car...like front fenders!

Depends on which side of the fence you stand on. Me personally.... I like the oddball production cars and oddities go for a little coin but to just see Chevelle's one after the other for sale at insane prices makes no sense to me. I have never been a fan of it just because I enjoyed old iron when it wasn't so old and was affordable even at $3.35 per hour working not even fulltime.

And I have a numbers matching 340 car so I am supposed to expect stupid money when I sell it lol.... Glad to see this for the working man who doesn't have a fat bank roll. And I hope the trend continues....

JW
I couldn't agree so that how I feel now days becuase I settle for A body 340 duster is all I can afford

So I have a 69 Dart GT convertible and a 69 Barracuda convertible and 3 sons. None of them want the cars. My only request was you had to know how to work on the cars, ie tune up, change tire etc. I guess the cars are my dream and not my kids. So I don't mind driving the snot out of them. When I can't or won't keep them up and enjoy them anymore I will still have gotten my value out of them even if I can't sell them for decent money!

Convertible are so cool to me well once I was own 66 coronet convertible fun car but wish I should have kept .

How many A-bodies do they televise at either BJ or Mecum? Im struggling to remember even seeing two? We seem to still have a long way to go.

The cars that are now selling for over $100k on a regular basis at the BJ auction? they would be "resto-mods" of classic muscle cars. these cars are old muscle cars with modern engines, drive trains, suspensions and even interiors. even the owners of BJ that were interviewed about the state of the collector car market stated that the price leaders in the past - being original, numbers-matching muscle cars - are now being replaced by the resto-mod vehicles as the collector car market continues to change and evolve to new tastes with younger buyers.

That's because people want to actually get them out and enjoy them instead of just having garage art or something that just isn't so fun to drive to the local place to practice professional parking for a chance to win a 99 cent trophy.

-
Back