Not an A body but, band adjustment on a 96 Dakota?

-

toolmanmike

Staff member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I posted this on the truck forum also. What are the torque specs and procedure for adjusting the bands on a 96 Dakota 2 wd. with a 3.9? I find conflicting info on the net and don't have a manual. Thanks, toolman

front band...back off jam nut...tighten adjuster to 72 inch pounds or snug ...back off 2 turns...tighten jam num

rear band...drop pan...back off jam nut...tighten adjuster to 72 inch pounds or snug ...back off 2 turns...tighten jam num

front band...back off jam nut...tighten adjuster to 72 inch pounds or snug ...back off 2 turns...tighten jam num

rear band...drop pan...back off jam nut...tighten adjuster to 72 inch pounds or snug ...back off 2 turns...tighten jam num

Thanks, Sounds like you've done it before. I've read for rear band, back off 4 turns. I lost reverse in my Roadrunner years ago and found the servo to band link laying in the pan. It must have been more than 4 turns out. LOL

I just did my 1965 904 tranny 2 days ago. The factory manual said to back off 5.25 turns for the 904 and less (~2.5, forgot) for 727. I don't think it is super-critical and kind of hard to measure the 72 in-lb snug. The idea is to make it loose enough to release fully, similar to adjusting drum brakes. I would say if your band link fell out it was real loose or the band totally worn since I had to back it way off to get the link out in a 413 torqueflite (fwd version of 904). For some torqueflites there is an improved thicker band link plus other cheap upgrades (L/R piston that doesn't ****), so maybe google.

I just did my 1965 904 tranny 2 days ago. The factory manual said to back off 5.25 turns for the 904 and less (~2.5, forgot) for 727. I don't think it is super-critical and kind of hard to measure the 72 in-lb snug. The idea is to make it loose enough to release fully, similar to adjusting drum brakes. I would say if your band link fell out it was real loose or the band totally worn since I had to back it way off to get the link out in a 413 torqueflite (fwd version of 904). For some torqueflites there is an improved thicker band link plus other cheap upgrades (L/R piston that doesn't ****), so maybe google.

96 Dakota.....

Boy the way I abused my old RoadRunner it's a wonder there weren't more parts in the pan. LOL I was working at the speed shop back then and ordered in a B&M street/ strip tranny and a Holeshot converter. It worked good!

Only the older 904's with double wrap rear bands get backed off 4 turns. All single wrap rear bands get backed of 2 turns. Generally you back off the front band 2-1/2 turns unless it has had a higher ratio servo lever installed. Watch when you tighen the jam nut that the adjuster don't turn with it.

That's good info. Thanks Fishy. I think my tranny is a 44RE and I'll bet it doesn't have double wrapped bands. tmm

Your welcome Mike. I'd bet your right but just in case here's a link to a trans. parts supplier showing the 2 different styles of bands. The very bottom one on this page is the double wrap band and the one right above it is the single wrap band. You can look up into the back of your trans. and see the rear band to make sure. Only the rear band was ever offerend in the double wrap design.

http://smrtrans.tripod.com/smrtransmissionsintro/id46.html

Wow! that looks like some good stuff. Back in the day B&M was the only ones around that had high perf. components but not much more than double wrap Hemi bands, converters, and valve bodies and shift kits. No Kevlar, no billet clutch drums or bolt in sprags. tmm

Dang, I serviced the tranny and adjusted the bands. No change! I have a tranny shop on my tool route. I'll have Lester look at it. tmm

That sucks. I'd ask what the problem is but most likely I wouldn't be of help since it's computer controlled and I know very little about the computer controlled trans.

fishy68,
Thanks for that info on the "double wrapped" rear band. First I heard of that. I wondered why 5.25 turns since I recalled backing off 2.5 turns on other torqueflites. Makes perfect sense. Too bad I already bolted the pan back, so can't look at the band now.

I knew the question was a 96 Dakota, but I thought similar to traditional Torqueflites. If a 3 speed hydraulic, I bet it is very similar. What is the model number of the tranny? I thought Mopar went to solenoid controlled shifting in the 4 speed "electronic" transmissions, at least judging from the 80's - 00's Mopars I have owned.

fishy68,
Thanks for that info on the "double wrapped" rear band. First I heard of that. I wondered why 5.25 turns since I recalled backing off 2.5 turns on other torqueflites. Makes perfect sense. Too bad I already bolted the pan back, so can't look at the band now.

I knew the question was a 96 Dakota, but I thought similar to traditional Torqueflites. If a 3 speed hydraulic, I bet it is very similar. What is the model number of the tranny? I thought Mopar went to solenoid controlled shifting in the 4 speed "electronic" transmissions, at least judging from the 80's - 00's Mopars I have owned.

Your welcome Bill. Toolman's is the 42RE which is the equivalent of a 904/998/999 with OD. 95 on back they were hydraulic shifted just like a torqueflite with the exception of the OD unit which was computer controlled. In 96 they went to complete electronic shift. Pre 96's are known as 42RH and 96 on is 42RE. In addition to that all are called an A500. Not sure why Ma Mopar had 2 designations to each trans. but you know Ma, LOL...

-
Back