Not finding 10" drum spring for 67 GTS

-

buck351

Reaction score
I had the short return spring break on the driver's side. Existing springs are original Mopar. I had a hardware kit that I got some years ago but the short return spring in the kit was stiffer and had a shorter offset so it didn't clear the wheel cylinder like the original. I then tried ordering a Wagner hardware kit from Rockauto that said is was for my car. Wouldn't you know the springs were ok except for the one I needed. Here's the spring I'm looking for:

Spring.jpg

I had the short return spring break on the driver's side. Existing springs are original Mopar. I had a hardware kit that I got some years ago but the short return spring in the kit was stiffer and had a shorter offset so it didn't clear the wheel cylinder like the original. I then tried ordering a Wagner hardware kit from Rockauto that said is was for my car. Wouldn't you know the springs were ok except for the one I needed. Here's the spring I'm looking for:

View attachment 1715014089
NAPA

Another suggestion, try giving Cass (DrDiff) a call. I'm sure he'll help you out.

View attachment 1715014089

This spring goes to the self adjuster lever. It's not a return spring. The return springs are the same, one just goes through the cable guide.

drum brakes rear 10.PNG
This spring goes to the self adjuster lever. It's not a return spring. The return springs are the same, one just goes through the cable guide.
I'll double check which spring I grabbed and took a photo of. My return springs are different looking springs. The photo in the 1967 Dodge service manual also shows two different looking return springs. Springs that were in there I changed when the car wasn't very old with springs I got from a Dodge parts manager. I got the car with 16,400 miles on it when it was 1.5 years old.

Last edited:
I was thinking about this style. these where off my 70 ebody

b002.JPG

If you are in a bind, I can make one for you but I would need your good /broken spring as a sample.
I am am a spring maker by trade. Over 25 years experience.

Why couldn't you just use the long spring there, the hole is in the shoe?

There must be a reason for the different design in the two springs. Primary shoe spring is shorter. Looks like the primary shoe may be stiffer.

If you are in a bind, I can make one for you but I would need your good /broken spring as a sample.
I am am a spring maker by trade. Over 25 years experience.
Thanks for the offer I'll keep that in mind if my search comes up empty.

I don't know what the big deal is, It's a spring and it has the power to pull the shoe back. Over the years the cost of making a spring that is not needed, so they got rid of it. Same spring for both shoes. If you can prove to me that the short spring is better than the long spring than I will agree with you, It's just a spring and it pulls the shoe back and that is it period.

I don't know what the big deal is, It's a spring and it has the power to pull the shoe back. Over the years the cost of making a spring that is not needed, so they got rid of it. Same spring for both shoes. If you can prove to me that the short spring is better than the long spring than I will agree with you, It's just a spring and it pulls the shoe back and that is it period.

"Drum brakes have a natural "self-applying" characteristic, better known as "self-energizing."[4] The rotation of the drum can drag either one or both of the shoes into the friction surface, causing the brakes to bite harder, which increases the force holding them together."
4 - The AA Book of the car, 1976

Last edited:
It does not matter! Ya it's a floating brake system that why the friction material on the front shoe is shorter because the only purpose of the front shoe is to apply the rear shoe, now both shoes work to stop the drum but most of the force is put on the rear shoe. I think that is what you are saying. The spring still pulls back the shoe.

You're right it's the adjuster spring. Looking closer at the service manual photo right one is short spring on top shoe hole. Jokes on me a in a previous brake job the springs got switched.
:rofl:

In my 65 Dart w/ 10" drums ~4 yrs ago, I bought a hardware kit for a ~74 Dart from Autozone. It has the improved self-adjuster shown in post# 12. rockauto should have plenty of choices. I think such Bendix-style drum brakes are common across manufacturers, so a similar year Ford Mustang may use the same/similar hardware kit, as per one post, and you can get all parts for an old Rustang. BTW, I had to re-use my old shoe pins since the 1974 shoes are wider, otherwise everything fit. I recall I also had to press in the loose stud that comes in the shoe kit for the tensioner spring, or maybe vice-versa.

-
Back