Not gettin a thing done, not enjoying it, and then, boats LOL

-

67Dart273

Reaction score
Not sure these are in order

Sea King 12 ft and the second 12 ft Aluminum

The 12 ft Sea King and outboard needing work is what started it all. But it had been a rowboat, and had no registration or CG number history, and I misplaced the paperwork, and thought the DMV would have a copy / trace of how far I got. NOT

00k0k_a0ZsIsqXIu1_1200x900.jpg

I don't have photos of the second 12 ft I bought. If/ when I get the Sea King registration fixed, I will sell the one I like "least"

A little ride in 12 ft numbaw teu with the 3.3 Merc earlier this spring

IMG_2009cs.JPG

IMG_2013cs.JPG

Last edited:
The old red junker and the 35 hp What this essentially got me is a decent but "needs work" trailer missing the winch, and needing tires, and a 57 35 HP Evinrude, which after coils, carb clean, and lower unit seals, ran in the barrell I paid 80 bucks for this mess so I ain't complainin. Hauled it home on the flatbed trailer

00808_7GM16uoV69j_1200x900.jpg

00505_9kOaaaoKe3k_1200x900.jpg

IMG_2035cs.JPG

Last edited:
"Free" boat from same neighborhood

This is a 68 Sea King with a 55 hp Sea King (Chrysler) outboard. Fired it on starting fluid, it surely needs carb work, and certainly needs lower unit seals. I thought the lower unit was cracked, but some moron plugged up the weep holes in the bottom of the open part of the casting. Not an issue it turns out, after REMOVING SAID SCREWS Unfortunately the stern is "wet" and I still don't have the registration issue fixed. I've been briefly in contact with the registered owner---in S Idaho--and HE is in the hospitol

If the registration issue is not fixed soon, it will be sawed up and to the dump with the other two. I'm getting pretty good at sawzalling up glass boats!!

IMG_2021cs.JPG

IMG_2024cs.JPG

IMG_2049cs.JPG

IMG_2048cs.JPG

IMG_2025cs.JPG

Last edited:
Free Chrysler boat and trailer, rotten to the core. I could take the transom in my hands and move the top in and out about 3/8" each way. I knew it was going to the dump. It yielded a few fittings, maybe a windshield, steering, and shift controls. And another trailer, "questionable" For now, the winch is on the first trailer

00505_jr4j0rBmeeS_1200x900.jpg

00707_gvjq8Pcrn11_1200x900.jpg

Last edited:
once a sailor, always a sailor. I am fond of old boats. They are so nice when fixed up.
It's been a few years since I seen the nice old wooden boats on CDA.
I spent some time at the shows on the lake over the years.

Welcome back Del, love the old boats!

LOL most of them are gone. The one I want is in WA (Spokane) but the guy lost the title. Of course I'm in Idaho, so have to wait for him to get a reprint title back. I told him to get his *** in gear. If I can, I will get this little gal

Screenshot at 2019-07-21 10-51-52.png

00a0a_a2xAlJ86Uab_1200x900.jpg

00d0d_9o8pdOm7UbQ_1200x900.jpg

00F0F_f5zqWr5JzwK_1200x900.jpg

00V0V_57cuAvNOOci_1200x900.jpg

Another I'm looking at (I've pretty much decided on aluminum) is a Mirrocraft I'm supposed to look at it Friday. Personally I think it's still overpriced

Screenshot at 2019-07-22 20-52-55.png

00R0R_8tw96vwIpSx_1200x900.jpg

00606_62u22GYIs5b_1200x900.jpg

If it's been there like it has here, it's been really hot and humid. We've had a day or two at 100 or 101 and most everyday now for a while has been at least 75% humidity. Just dreadful.

Yeah aluminium is the way to go. There are lots of cool old boats, whether wood/fiberglass/aluminium, but for durability and maintenance you cant beat aluminium.
Only ***** about my 16' aluminium is that the 25HP Mercury is tiller drive. Not the greatest on my back but it's still good times in a boat!
Enjoy Del!

Yeah aluminium is the way to go. There are lots of cool old boats, whether wood/fiberglass/aluminium, but for durability and maintenance you cant beat aluminium.
Only ***** about my 16' aluminium is that the 25HP Mercury is tiller drive. Not the greatest on my back but it's still good times in a boat!
Enjoy Del!

"Tiller" is exactly why the dilemma. For the 12 ft, I am thinking of devising a clamp setup above/ below the first two seats, to mount a small bucket seat "down" in front of the rear most seat. I've got some remote push pull cables I found cheap off CL and could rig a "remote tiller" from that, a joystick if you like. "We'll see". The upshot is I need a seat, and back support, and a way to operate without twisting around behind too much, 'cuz my shoulders and back.

If I didn't mind bigger, heavier, or fiberglass, there's LOTS of low budget boats on sale. But small aluminum, not so much.

If it's been there like it has here, it's been really hot and humid. We've had a day or two at 100 or 101 and most everyday now for a while has been at least 75% humidity. Just dreadful.

We've had it cool and easy so far, last few days warmed up, I guess up to about 90 today. But next couple of days are gonna be warmer......Not near so humid tho.

I guess you might remember I went to a RADAR school in 69-70 down there in Glynco (Then NAS Glynco) HATED the humidity LOL

We've had it cool and easy so far, last few days warmed up, I guess up to about 90 today. But next couple of days are gonna be warmer......Not near so humid tho.

I guess you might remember I went to a RADAR school in 69-70 down there in Glynco (Then NAS Glynco) HATED the humidity LOL

Yes I do and I love that story. Specially the strip club/bar/whatever it was. LOL

Yes I do and I love that story. Specially the strip club/bar/whatever it was. LOL

You mean on base? That was out west at Miramar, the on-base enlisted men's club. By the way, back in those days there were a couple of "killer" all nude show clubs in the San Diego area. At least, that's what my friends told me...................

The school at Glynco was in one of the old Blimp hangers, one of which was fire damaged soon after I left about '70. They were destroyed soon after. When I was there the roof was in bad shape. Here are a couple of shots I took. One is the training RADAR outside the hanger, and the other is a shot inside. the light you see is holes in the roof

img016s.jpg

img018s.jpg

You mean on base? That was out west at Miramar, the on-base enlisted men's club. By the way, back in those days there were a couple of "killer" all nude show clubs in the San Diego area. At least, that's what my friends told me...................

The school at Glynco was in one of the old Blimp hangers, one of which was fire damaged soon after I left about '70. They were destroyed soon after. When I was there the roof was in bad shape. Here are a couple of shots I took. One is the training RADAR outside the hanger, and the other is a shot inside. the light you see is holes in the roof

View attachment 1715368034

View attachment 1715368035

Yeah I remember you tellin me about the blimp hangars. You said they were already crapped out when you were there. Like fallin apart.

I don't know why, but I thought the men's club was where you were in Georgia. I hate gettin old.

Question for you boat guys.
Where does one find aftermarket or used parts or an outboard motor?
BIL has a 2013 90HP Mercury and the Hi and Lo pressure pumps are bad. Having a heck of a time finding pumps that don't cost more than the motor is worth.

I try to find an online parts/service manual, download it and get part # of what I'm looking for. Then Google.
Ive tried dealerships too.
BIL has a 2013 90HP Mercury and the Hi and Lo pressure pumps are bad. Having a heck of a time finding pumps that don't cost more than the motor is worth.

I try to find an online parts/service manual, download it and get part # of what I'm looking for. Then Google.
Ive tried dealerships too.
Got the P/N, just that the part costs more than the motor is worth.
There's a reason I don't do boats!

Google. I don't know 'bout Merc but I just obtained parts "no pain" for a 57 Evinrude. Carb bowl gasket (no kit), coils, points, lower unit seals and water pump impeller. there are a few online parts outfits.

63 Evinrude 10 Same deal, and others in the early 60's all OMC stuff

Look on egag for parts service manuals. I was PLEASANTLY surprised to find that Wards sold Sea King-----made earlier by OMC, and uses what amounts to OMC part numbers in the Wards parts book!!!!

Likewise, the newer Sea King, made by Chrysler (55 hp) the Wards parts book ALSO show numers that either are or are easily manipulated into Force (whatever it is now) Force / Chrysler/ Mariner parts numbers. This is about a 68 Sea King 55 hp and I got the lower unit seals for it and a water pump no problem

Two places are

Outboard Motors, Boat Parts, Marine Engines, Inboard Boat Motor

Quality marine products and boat parts

I assume you are talking about EFI? No idea

My favorite "boating" story. Years ago I worked for a large auto parts store. We sold a full line of auto / light truck parts, and popular parts for log/ heavy trucks, made hydraulic hoses, and fittings, had a separate welding/ sales/ repair store, and for the last years, a fastener's store

Guy comes in, waits for me, says
"I hear you are the electronics guy."

Well "not" but OK

Says "I have a V4 Johnson / Evinrude, the electronics box is bad, and they want 500 bucks"

This was in the eighties, and I DO have some sympathy on the price What he asked was a way to adapt automotive electronics to it to save some money. I had no idea, and told him he might investigate finding some used parts, some of those engines used a magneto ignition.

Well he didn't "take" that answer and was wasting time, we were BUSY

So finally I told him, "Ya know, you might screw around and lash something up, and if it quit you, you might spend a COLD night on Lake Pend Oreille.

(Pronounced Ponderay)

He says "OH, THIS ISN'T IN A BOAT. IT'S IN A HOME BUILT HELICOPTER!!!!"

I assume you are talking about EFI? No idea
yep.
EFI. There is a lift pump and a fuel pump. They are contained within a module. Not sure if it's feasible to replace just the pumps or the whole module.
The module is $950 plus what ever it takes to install.
I used to be a Mopar Parts mgr, so my Bro in law seems to think parts is parts. I'm good, but I have my limits. I know nothing about boats other than they float on water (mostly).
As for the Helicopter, $500 is a small investment as opposed to gravity.

Bust out another thousand lol. That's why I simplified to a 16' tin boat.
I got a used boat guy down the road GB, about 5 minutes away.
Shoot me sn, model, part #'s etc and I'll stop and see what Harley says?
$950 US is like a bazillion canuck bucks lol.

-
Back