Not mopar...But my first restore

-
That's gonna be a great truck, woody. Some fine lookin work.

Well didn't really think this over either. I definitely jumped the gun doing the seat up nice and purdy before anything else. But I had an idea and went with it. Just adding a touch to it that Grandpa will like. Made the seat cover outta old work jeans...and saved a couple hundred!:cheers: Only now it has to stay in my bedroom til I'm ready for it.

this...is cool as cool can get and its hotrodding at it's finest. Subscribed. Best of luck :burnout:

that thing would be sweet with an old school hemi....just saying

Well didn't really think this over either. I definitely jumped the gun doing the seat up nice and purdy before anything else. But I had an idea and went with it. Just adding a touch to it that Grandpa will like. Made the seat cover outta old work jeans...and saved a couple hundred!:cheers: Only now it has to stay in my bedroom til I'm ready for it.

Actually, that doesn't look bad. My best advice is, don't be afraid to try anything, also, don't be afraid to re do something that doesn't turn out as you'd like. That's how we learn. I usually read up on something or watch a video before I attempt it. especially if I have never done it before, then go for it. Good job. Actually doing it is better than talking about it LOL!

Well went home last weekend again, but unfortunately I did not have a whole lot of time to work on the pickup. Harvest season is here yet again and there is plenty to do around the farm. I was able to get a little bit done. I got the steering wheel off...unfortunately it decided to come off in two pieces. Luckily I had some two part epoxy putty. I used a dremel and cleaned up all the cracks and then applied the epoxy to every crack. I forgot to take a picture, but I did get em all filled. That's all I had time for so I'll have to sand it down next time I go home. I just really hate how slow progress has got lately, but that's life.

Attachments

• 2015-08-11 11.18.06.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 530
  • 2015-08-11 11.30.37.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 473
  • 2015-08-19 12.41.16.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 514
Had a couple days off for fall break this week!:cheers: Went home and got a good couple days worth of work in on the pickup. I started working on the box...man its going to take a lot of patches. I took the front panel of the box and worked on it for just about a whole day. Then started patching some holes on the side of the box. That's all I got around to this week. Hopefully I'll get back soon to work on er some more. The picture with the square tube is my attempt to keep the box from collapsing without the front on it.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 396
  • 3.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 446
  • 5.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 480
  • 4.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 451
  • 1.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 456
You are doing a great job on the truck. I like the seat. I have a soft spot for them. This is the one my brother and I have done with my dad. Right now it seems my 16 year old son is driving it more than anyone.

Made it home this weekend again and got a little work done. Started patching the bedsides as the bottom section of both sides was completely rusted. I took out the rear crossmember to find that it was rusted real bad. Time to test my metal working skills I guess. I didn't get around to patch it but I did get the rust off and got it cleaned up and painted so I will patch it next time I go home.

Attachments

• 8.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 396
  • 9.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 380
  • 6.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 412
  • 11.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 405
  • 10.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 421
Great job, you certainly learn fast. That truck will be done in no time.
Good luck, will follow your build.

Just saw this thread for the first time and, gotta say, love the truck! It reminds me of my grandfather's truck that he had years ago. It ended up going to my cousin.
Love the seat you did. My first truck was a '69 Ford F-250, 2-tone light blue and white. I still like that color combo on older trucks. My 'ex' made a headliner out of denim with orange stitching like on Levis jeans. She also made a pocket for it with Levi-style stitching and a red Levis tag on it. The pocket was just behind the driver-side sun visor. I used it to hold a pen and any paper/receipts that accumulated during the day.
Keep up the great work.

May not look like much but this patch was a pain. Had to bend three 90 degree angles with just a hammer and a vise. The work has really slowed down and It is driving me up the wall, but that's life I guess.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 327
  • 2.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 329
  • 3.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 341
I made it home for Christmas Break and unfortunately I got just about nothing accomplished on the chevy. Can't believe how busy life gets. I was lucky enough to get a couple hours in. I was getting a little tired of only seeing metal metal and more metal...so I brought out my woodworking skills and got the bed wood cut. It'll need a little extra trimming but that'll come later. I then started working on the tailgate. Had to cut the top off and started making the patch for it. That's about as far as I got. Hope everything is well for you all.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 272
  • 3.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 273
  • 4.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 300
  • 5.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 305
  • 6.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 305
You don't have any idea how good you're doing!! Just, "keep keeping on", as we used to say in the 60's!! It looks really GREAT!!! When you're done it will be a "TREASURE" to drive around town!!

treblig

I really like the premise of this thread!!! You're doing great work on a really cool truck, it's got a family connection, and you're doing a great job!! I'll be checking in on this thread too, it's a cool build!!

Well was home this past weekend and managed to get a couple hours of work in on the ol chevy. Got the tailgate patch formed, welded, and ground smooth. Also started beating some of the thousands of dents out of one of the rear fenders. Didn't snap any pictures of it but after beating on it for quite a while and heating it up and quenching it with water several times I started to get it back into the relatively original shape. That's about all I had time for this weekend. Hope all is well for you all.

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 260
  • 3.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 235
  • 2.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 220
  • 1.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 241
Thats a great candidate for a restoration. There are more parts available for that truck than your Demon. My buddy just picked up a 56 Ford Tudor and the floors were made of galvanized metal! But they are still available $50 a corner...see? parts available!

Had a whole week off for spring break and man it was great! I started off working on the demon instead of the pickup. Got the floorpans all fixed up then moved on to the pickup. Don't have a whole lot of pictures but got a lot done. Got the tailgate finished up, the bedsides welded and ground smooth, and the side steps got some patch panels made and welded in. Found some lead work on it which was rather disappointing but that's just how it goes. Placed my first parts order just the other day and about fell over dead when I actually realized what I am going to be putting into this thing while in college :banghead: but oh well you only get to be young once so I plan on making it the best I can! Anyways that's about all for now. Next time I go back ill have the cab corners, new rear fenders, and the windshield so I can tackle that darn windshield channel. Hopefully that comes sooner than later.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 237
  • 2.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 224
  • 3.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 203
  • 10.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 223
  • 9.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 209
  • 8.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 248
  • 7.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 220
  • 6.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 227
  • 5.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 221
  • 4.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 200
Went home again last weekend and got a little more done. Was super excited to see my parts waiting there for me. Started working on the back of the cab there were some pretty bad stress cracks which I forgot to take pictures of before I started :eek:ops: Then I went on to the cab corners. Got em both cut out and got the drivers side put in. I had to do a little cutting and hammering on the bottom of the corner to get it to line up right, but I think I got it pretty damn close. I didn't order the inner cab corner and I have decided to just delete it. If you don't understand what I mean by this just wait until my next post and I'll have pictures with an explanation. Didn't get a whole lot done had to go to prom with the girlfriend which took up most of the weekend, but gotta keep the woman happy.

Attachments

• 8.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 169
  • 7.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 175
  • 6.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 166
  • 5.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 186
  • 4.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 183
  • 3.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 157
  • 1.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 180
  • 2.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 188
Oh I forgot I was gonna ask you guys for your opinion on this. As I'm getting closer and closer to being done with the body work I find myself wondering how I am going to deal with all the surface rust. My initial thought was to sandblast it. I've had many people tell me that it isn't a good idea because it might warp the panels. I honestly don't know if there is any other way to get it all though. The metal on this thing is pretty stout so I am still leaning towards blasting it. What do you guys think? Also I would rather not hire it out. I like to do things myself so I started looking at sandblasters. This is the one I have my eye on( https://www.brutmfg.com/sand-blasting/pressure-fed-abraisive-sand-blaster-99h-detail ) but honestly I don't really know quite what I am looking for. I want it to be big enough to be able to do all the pickup and the frame as well. The compressor wont be a problem I've got access to a big one. But I can't decide if I should invest in a blaster or rent one. Opinions?

Got both cab corners finished up and looking pretty good. Started on the bottom hinge boxes. Had to cut em out completely and rebuild them from scratch. Took a while to get the shape right but got er done and welded up. Now just need to finish the other side.

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

It's been a while since I've posted partially because I got a little discouraged by the little amount of interest taken in my project. I guess that's because its not mopar but oh well. A lot of work in these pictures. Put the bed together and got all the holes drilled in the metal strips and the cross members. Pulled the motor and trans. Stitched up all the holes in the firewall. Filled in the ash tray holes and the gas filler hole. Then came the fun part. I picked up a mid 70's Camaro subframe from a guy on craigslist for $275. Hacked off the front of the pickup frame, welded in the subframe and BAM! $275 for power steering, disk brakes, and upgraded suspension! After installing the subframe the front sat way lower than the back, so I took the rear axle and put it on top of the leaf springs instead of below them. Then I notched the frame to ensure plenty of clearance. That's where I am as of now hopefully more to come soon.

IMG_0731.JPG

IMG_0775.JPG

IMG_0779.JPG

IMG_0782.JPG

IMG_0785.JPG

IMG_0798.JPG

IMG_0787.JPG

IMG_0799.JPG

IMG_0860.JPG

IMG_0865.JPG

-
Back