Not sure if I'm in the right place but here goes

-

DodgeA100Van

Reaction score
I just picked up a 1966 A100 Van with a stock 273 that needs.. well I don't know yet. The engine bay is full of a pine needles rats nest. I was told it runs but needs a radiator. Is there a list somewhere with compatible bolt-on parts to rebuild/upgrade this thing? It is a one owner car but sat in a field for the last 10+ years. Anyway, hope I can find a little guidance here. I am a Roofing contractor who loves cars but is pretty green when it comes to wrenching. My very good friend and neighbor is a professional engine builder and mechanic who has worked on countless rods and projects over the years. He has generously offered to help me get this project running on his saturday afternoons and I was hoping to do all the legwork, research and parts ordering to make it easy on him. My goal here is a weekend driver, cruiser that's reliable and can be heard more than 10 feet away. I'd also like to get as much power as I can with stock and readily available bolt on parts. Hopefully not having an A body doesn't get me banned. Thanks!

IMG_20190223_114322.jpg

IMG_20190223_114401.jpg

IMG_20190228_163706.jpg

If it was a 65 or earlier 273 there would be a difference at intake bolts and more. Because it is a 66 273, most anything that fits 318 will fit. The small bore correct head gaskets for 273 are difficult to find but the common slightly larger bore 318 head gaskets work also.

Nice! I would love to pick up one of those one day. What do you plan on doing with it?

Always wanted one.Still do!
Nice find and Welcome!

Dave

Cool vehicle One god thing about this site is you can research and read and learn so much. As any question in any spot and there are well informed people to give you good info!
Yes that van is so cool!

I love these vans (and trucks) and if I had space I'd be looking.
You may be new to the Mopar world and this forum is about "A" Body cars.
Most of us love these and will gladly talk about them but specifically this isn't the right forum.
I never looked for a van forum but the Sweptline truck forum has a A-100 section.
Sweptline.ORG - Index page

Feel free to hang out.

Alan

I love these vans (and trucks) and if I had space I'd be looking.
You may be new to the Mopar world and this forum is about "A" Body cars.
Most of us love these and will gladly talk about them but specifically this isn't the right forum.
I never looked for a van forum but the Sweptline truck forum has a A-100 section.
Sweptline.ORG - Index page

Feel free to hang out.

Alan
True but probably majority on here likes to talk pickups/vans. There are also some site on Facebook that caters to all things mopar as well. This FABO has a lot of members and active so you can always find some help and conversation with the A100 I bet.

You can make these vans pretty cool. Mine has a slant 6 runs good. Gets a lot of attention every where I go. If you still have the old radiator you can have it re-cored. If not I have a used one for a /6 only diff I see is the lower hose in on the other side, but plenty of room to run a longer hose.

Welcome aboard! Nice to have another A100 owner/lover on here. Mine have 318’s in them.

If it was a 65 or earlier 273 there would be a difference at intake bolts and more. Because it is a 66 273, most anything that fits 318 will fit. The small bore correct head gaskets for 273 are difficult to find but the common slightly larger bore 318 head gaskets work also.

Wow this is really helpful thank you!

Welcome to FABO from another SoCal member! A100s are so cool.
What part of SoCal are you in?

Temecula. You?

North OC for me.
You're in the middle between two outstanding Mopar Car Clubs: Mopars of San Diego and Inland Mopars Car Club. Inland Mopars meets the 1st Sunday of each month in Riverside.

If you just slap common 318 heads on there, they will lower the already low compression dramatically. You need the small chamber "heart shaped" heads (302? casting?)

Also, a replacement transmission........if automatic.......will have to be the older 68/ earlier with the smaller converter bore. "It might be?" the transmission mount on those hangs from above, I cannot remember. That means the tail housing is specific to those old vans

My goal here is a weekend driver, cruiser that's reliable and can be heard more than 10 feet away. I'd also like to get as much power as I can with stock and readily available bolt on parts

Welcome aboard.
Think 5.9 Magnum. Or even a 5.2 Magnum
But if you really want to keep the 273; it takes rpm to make power. Your 273 might power-peak as late as 3800; with a 4bbl and headers perhaps a bit higher.
With an auto trans and say 3.55s, 4000 would be 35mph with 27"tires.
If you cam it, the power peak will move to a higher rpm. Meanwhile the lower rpms will lose power. To overcome that, you will need a higher stall TC. The next bigger cam will move the power peak up about 5% so 37mph. To overcome that, you will need 5% more gear so 3.73s...... but the power peak is still at 35mph. That's not gonna be a whole lotta fun, and it only gets worse after the shift. And if you are stuck with 2.76s fogedabowdit. Those will have to go.
So, If you really want to keep the 273, you can see here that a cam swap is moving the power in the wrong direction. And if you don't cam it, the stock 273 is not gonna show much improvement with headers. The 4bbl is still a good idea, but it also won't accomplish much with the stock cam.
So what is the answer? Well, IMO,TM (Torque Multiplication) is the answer. But it's only good to ~50 mph,after that wind-resistance is gonna slow her down.
Depending on your budget, this might only buy you a TC, and that is where I would start. There is a huge difference in power output of the 273, at 1800 rpm versus at 2800. So for me a Hi-stall is purchase #1.
The second purchase would be rear gears. How much gear to get depends on how much hiway-cruising you are going to want to do. With a stock-273 you are gonna need a lot of rear gear to keep her spinning, otherwise you will measure acceleration with a sundial. Ima thinking 4.30s, but that would be 65=3650rpm with 27s . However, 4.30s compared to 3.23s is 33% more TM off the line. Couple that with say a 2500TC,and you could be looking at 60% to 70% more on-the-road torque at take-off ,and plus 33% after the TC settles down, which could be as early as 18mph. That's half the mph of what the 3.23/1800 combo was doing! Compare the above to; a loss of maybe 5% with the next bigger cam. And this new torque comes at ZERO mph, versus waiting until 35mph.
The penalty of course is cruising comfort.
So, in conclusion, if the 273 has to stay, I recommend to put your money into a hi-stall TC, AND as much rear gear as you can stand. Then, if you need more power, you are already set up for a modest cam. But realize that power improvements on a stock-273 are rather modest with bolt-ons, and
nothing will compare to the 1-2 punch of stall and gears.
That's AJs two cents worth

Last edited:
-
Back