Now this is camping

-
I've already checked Walmart out, MMC, but none of the stores near my home town allow overnight RV parking. I think they are too afraid of homeless encampments getting started.

I have the other half shelter. lol :D
Shelter 1/2's!
Never used them after Basic and AIT. I was Artillery, so we pretty much either slept on the Howitzer, in the ammo track or alongside the either.
We never stayed put long enough for a tent.

The roof top tent craze goes hand-n-hand with the rise of overlanding, pretty good concept and even better business model!

Found pics from car show me and buddy went to. Pretty cool setup I think.

20190223_152020.jpg

20190223_151830.jpg

20190223_151906.jpg

20190223_152044.jpg

20190223_152158.jpg

Well, I guess it would keep the snakes and spiders out, and the stinking ants. And you wouldn't have to be on high-ground if it starts to rain while you're sleeping.
Funny story; I rolled outta bed off the air mattress one morning on the Island of Victoria in 1977........ and splashed into a river that was flowing all 'round the tent. My new bride was not impressed with the site manager,namely her DA new husband. Yeah but she took it like a trooper.

In stepped out to wash my face, and promptly dropped my silver wire-rimmed glasses into the water. Ohchit. Good thing said river, which was actually just a creek, wasn't moving real fast. I soon hunted them up.
Next night we spent indoors. And the next couple too. See, I'm a fast-learner....

Shelter halves in San Diego/Camp Pendleton boot camp, never used them after that except one time when it was raining buckets in ITS (Infantry Training School) in Camp Lejeune. Went to Philippines for 18 months of Barracks duty and it rained so much there we just covered ourselves with a pancho and slept in the mud when on patrols. No use trying to stay dry in an inch an hour rain for 12 hours straight. Lucky for me was the schedule: A week on guard duty and a week in the rear with the gear! When we were doing field ops every other month, I just stuck my head in an MRE sleeve so the rain wouldnt land on my face. Next night all the NCO's took the sleeves for themselves.

We like going to these kinds of picnics with my wife. I like the second photo more, in my opinion, taking such a big tent is unnecessary if you are not planning to have some barbeques during the rain, and you can always sit in the camp/car backseats if you get in the rain. I think taking so a big tent every time is useless. Also, I would recommend taking flashlights on these types of trips. It may save you a hell tonne of your time. Especially if you get something broken in your car during nighttime, you will have enough light to try to fix it or replace the tire.

Last edited:
For some reason, I seem to remember seeing tents that were made specifically for the Pontiac Aztec
It would cover the rear hatch, so you could sleep in the trunk

Always liked the idea, but felt like the execution was a little lacking

View attachment 1715602564

I had a first run Aztek. It was ugly but a badass vehicle. Loved it

Air adjust suspension, ridiculous cargo space. All wheel drive.

Those rooftop units are the latest rage, and would be nice I guess in a downpour. I just got back from a week camping/ fishing in Michigan UP. I'm still a ground dweller.
IMG_20220914_121323830_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220914_112337529_HDR.jpg

-
Back