numbers match question

-

John at CRT

Reaction score
on a 69 Coronet 500 - 318 904 8-3/4 car that needs a resto. The car is all there but it has new Quarters put right over the old Quarters done years ago, the motor leaks and is weak, But the floors and int is nice. Has aftermarker wheels, headers, intake & carb. On this car my question is:

Would it matter on value of the car, up or down, if the transmission was not numbers matching?

(I know my awnser to this question, I would like to hear yours) :violent1:

its a small block coronet , it wouldnt really matter if the whole drivetain is gone. i compare that to a numbers matching slant 6 duster........my 2 cents

Does it have the original trans in it now?

If you're looking at originality in the future, swap the trans out to what you want it to be and stash the original for that future purist who has to have it numbers matching.... Other than the 500 trim package, there really isn't anything special about the car....

my 69 Coronet Wanna-bee project didn't come with an 8-3/4.. is your's original to it? Aftermarket wheels - if going numbers correct, I have the original deluxe wheel covers from mine avail.....

on a 69 Coronet 500 - 318 904 8-3/4 car that needs a resto. The car is all there but it has new Quarters put right over the old Quarters done years ago, the motor leaks and is weak, But the floors and int is nice. Has aftermarker wheels, headers, intake & carb. On this car my question is:

Would it matter on value of the car, up or down, if the transmission was not numbers matching?

I decided to post this because there is days when I miss this car. CRT and I have already discussed this matter privately. However, as I vent I decided to post in here because I still have a bad taste in my mouth.

First off the car was a 68 Coronet 440 with 500 tail lights and tail panel and was starting to do an R/T clone. The car had the original 1/4s with some mud in lower portion both front and lower portion of the panels. The car did have the original drivetrain and the original 2.76 gears in it. To go further the car still had the original vinyl top, original dash pad, original steering wheel. It had one repaint and I was fighting myself that maybe I should just go back to stock.

The leaks he was describing was a rear main seal and water pump. I fixed the water pump and that took care of one leak. The engine was pretty strong considering other than a cam and timing chain upgrade and probably had over 200k miles it on the original bottom end. What do you expect? A it's a 3800lbs car with a 2.76 highways gears. The engine did have some weak rings (#5&7) is what I found on a compression test but, got pretty decent mileage. I got 20 and 21 mpg all highway running 65 mph.

The car had a 15x7 slot mags up front and 15x8.5 slot mags out back. It had a R/T bar cluster and voltmeter conversion with an RTE IVR in the cluster. The suspension was upgraded and setup for a big block and had new seat covers and carpet. Everything else was original from the receipts I had.

Anyways, basically what happened is CRT messed up on two transmissions he did and installed for this car we got into a heated debate and I was fed up because it took well almost a year to partially resolve the matter which never resolved on the transmission side because I am not going to pull the transmission myself or drop another 1k to go back through something that should be done right the 1st time. The car ran and drove great other than my transmission issues. That's all I'm going to say but, I wanted to clear up some misinformation on this post about the car. Also, I wanted to keep the original parts just in case I decided someday I was going back to original on it. So, yes it mattered to me because I am the one who worked and sacrificed for it and the one who paid for it. But, my long term plan was to swap in a 5.7 or 6.1 Hemi and keep the 904 because of the weight and smaller internals but, this whole transmission issue set me back and I sold the car because this situation left a bad taste in my mouth.

"Numbers Matching" only matters on performance models. Even then, it only matters if you are trying to maximums your return when trying to sell.

No, I don't think it wouldn't mattter to the value on the open market.
Given the car's been sold - does it matter?

Well, I guess I'm different. For example if I was looking for a run of the mill 70 Duster 318 I would prefer the original transmission and everything at least original. I guess in my head it it's original then it probably hasn't been beat on but, most stuff I buy is low mileage or survivor type stuff. I don't like heavily modded cars because there is too much hack work with mods that I at least have dealt with in the past with electrical and engine modifications. I have seen some pretty hefty hack work.

As for the car for being sold, yeah it doesn't matter at this point but, I guess what bothers me in my mindset as I am looking back at this thread and I get the impression that John probably could of done better with the transmission but, I don't think he did 100% IMO based on what he posted and like I said I fixed one leak he didn't know what it was and what I found was that the water pump was the culprit.

Anyways, everyone has their opinion. I have mine, you have yours, and today while I'm thinking about the car and getting a recent picture of the car I needed to vent because this was a sore spot for me. I have been quiet about this and I am not going to say much more but, I wanted to add my two cents after seeing this posted here.

-
Back