Numbers matching ?

-

MAPS

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Can someone tell me
Hemi Barracuda 68
We're their engines matched to the cars like all mopars ? IE V code 6bbl engine to car can be distinguished if its original or not. What about the 68 Barracuda originally Hemi car.
Reason I ask seems there is one for sale.. and the gent that's not possible but he claims he is the original owner.. Yup.
Thanks
MAPS

Strange, no one knows ?
I'd think someone from this forum would have known if these Hemi Barracudas (68) even the Hemi Darts, came with/were matching number engines with cars when originally sold the first time.
I'll wait, I'm willing to wager everything I have that someone will answer this, correctly and with proof with why his answer is what it is.

Staging, Waging and waiting...
MAPS

Original hemi dart information - CLASS RACER FORUM

By the way the big big BBBBBBBIIIIIIIGGGGG problem with 68 A bodies is that there were no body VINs. The body (rad support etc) had order numbers like in 67, but the only VIN was on the dash frame---which unbolts. Unless you have documentation concerning the order number----such as the build sheet---there is NO WAY to tie a 68 VIN to the body

67 had vin on the door post and body order numbers
68 had body order numbers and vin on dash frame
69 had body vin stampings and vin on dash frame---and partial vin on engine/ trans

Last edited:
So that means I have to take his word it's the original Hemi that came with the car, as he said to me back in thru day you could not tell.
He is the original owner (almost 90 yrs old) not to mention a Winged Warrior with 16,000 miles on it both bought when he got out of the military..
Insane.
Thanks for your help.
MAPS

P.S Just in case you many may feel he had no clue what he has (Winged car not sir sale... For now) but the Hemi Barracuda, 5,000,000 dollars.
I told him.... In a nice way, that he must be mixing his meds...a decent price and I'll look into it of what he is asking AND if everything is what he says. 5000 % less...

02F8A2E7-6C14-41FF-9370-566173395C8C.jpeg
Very good question and I kinda have an answer for you. This is a photo of notes taken from a meeting dated 1/19/1968. As far as I know there never was a VIN number stamped on the engine or trans.

I've got a wad of Canadian Tire money and should go to Quebec!

lolol its not in Qc its in the states..
But you are more than welcome to come to Mtl and we can have a soda,coffee, drink (at your disposal) and talk MOPARS all wk-end long friend.

Original hemi dart information - CLASS RACER FORUM

By the way the big big BBBBBBBIIIIIIIGGGGG problem with 68 A bodies is that there were no body VINs. The body (rad support etc) had order numbers like in 67, but the only VIN was on the dash frame---which unbolts. Unless you have documentation concerning the order number----such as the build sheet---there is NO WAY to tie a 68 VIN to the body

67 had vin on the door post and body order numbers
68 had body order numbers and vin on dash frame
69 had body vin stampings and vin on dash frame---and partial vin on engine/ trans

@67Dart273

Thanks for that update ..
on another topic do you or ANYONE ELSE HERE, have any idea where o the body did 69 Barracudas have numbers stamped on them aside from Vin on dash and the engine,,,
Thanks.

@67Dart273

Thanks for that update ..
on another topic do you or ANYONE ELSE HERE, have any idea where o the body did 69 Barracudas have numbers stamped on them aside from Vin on dash and the engine,,,
Thanks.

On the rest of them, there's a partial on the radiator support and around the trunk area. I don't know if the Barracuda was different "back there" since it was made a tad differently.

That is a perfect example of why documentation and pedigree mean everything later. If you can't prove it, it probably didn't happen.
Just look at what a difference paperwork can mean when you are just buying a dog. $50 mutt or $5000, purebred.

That is a perfect example of why documentation and pedigree mean everything later. If you can't prove it, it probably didn't happen.
Just look at what a difference paperwork can mean when you are just buying a dog. $50 mutt or $5000, purebred.

MoparLeo
I hear you about the cars and papers but when it comes to pedigrees with Dogs you can't say the same.
Personally I don't care what anyone says, I'm 58 yrs old, I've been breeding dogs for close to 40 yrs. 25-30 yrs ..really serious and I don't sell any dogs.
I know for a FACT that my dogs are bred exactly how I say the last 6 generations Guaranteed.

Before that, no one does and personally I don't think people who were going thru WW1,WW2 The depression Era, really gave a darn what the papers said so long as it sold.
Say you were looking for a Ch.(champion) Mopar dog and I had a dog off of Ch.Mopar you can bet your belly dollar it will be papered EXACTLY how you want if he needed the $ to feed his yard or worse his family.
The sad thing is even if just, 1 dog was not the real Sire of the litter and the rest were, it has thrown that whole pedigree out the window.

I bred/breed dogs that were not for the common man nor were they ever for sale and still I was dead set on registering them exactly how the breeding was done BUT I can't say who did what with my first Bulldog I got my hands on in 1980-81. I slowly started searching for what I liked or wanted, that I realized EVERYONE played with their papers.

It's a purebred and you have papers to prove it but can it prove that those dogs on your papers are exactly that ? No.

So the next time you go looking to buy a dog make sure you buy one that someone can show and prove to you at least 3-4 generations are bred exactly how the papers say they are bred.
After 4-6 gens back, truly there are not many genetics being passed on to the litter you have today, aside from color. That too is for another day ... with certain colors not being able to "produce' the color of pups you have. lol
Recessive gens etc..

Sorry for the ramblings but I'm just as dedicated to my dogs as I am to the MOPARS, In fact ...a little more with the dogs..

I'm in Canada and I have gone as far away to the Middle East, UAE, EUROPE just to breed a dog. I don't think I would have gone that far for a woman lol but you get the idea. It was a passion with no equals at one time. I have the ability to produce a litter today with the sire being dead over 30 yrs ago... Good bless technology... and with that paper hangers now are making it even easier for puppy peddlers to make a buck.
Ask for a DNA on the dog if they tell you the side died a few yrs ago...
Unless the dog was collected before they started with the DNA (I speak with experience there too lol... ) they should have DNA on the dog.
Sorry for all the Bull talk..

Last edited:
-
Back