obd ipad dash

Discussion in 'Magnum Engine Swaps' started by el5dart, Jun 23, 2018.

1. el5dart

el5dart Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    4:03 AM
    just wanted to throw an idea i had several months ago out there. maybe someone will do it.

the dart dusters with the rectangle speedo is 7 inches diaganaly. i was thinking you could mount a 7 inch ipad/phone in there and run one of the obd customizable dash apps, gps, music, dash cam and anything else you can think of right from the touch screen or siri to modernize the dash. if your handy with making programs you could even do a digital representation of the original speedo look. just an idea. its already out there so theres not really any inventing going on. but i havn't seen it integrated in a mopar yet. somebody do it!

d-aed9-4d95-a5da-cea274b5c217%2Fff1e9a20486d858a1e45e96a42a75953%2Fimgingest-7242731146778785333.jpg https%3A%2F%2Fi2.wp.com%2Fwww.rightfootdown.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2015%2F10%2Fdashcommand.jpg

2. BigBlockMopar

BigBlockMopar BigBlockMember

Local Time:
    11:03 AM
    Not sure about OBD but have a look at RealDash.
    The appmaker has a Mopar as well.

3. el5dart

Local Time:
    obd not a brand name. im talking about the obd port on magnum and late model hemis. but yup real dash looks cool too

RealDash_tablet_video.png

Last edited: Jun 23, 2018
  4. BigBlockMopar

BigBlockMopar BigBlockMember

Local Time:
    11:03 AM
    Yes I know what OBD is but I ment I don't know if RealDash works with it.
    Other than that I have no experience with it because all my stuff is older.

5. robcuda

robcuda FABO Gold Member FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
    3:03 AM
    Yes, you can do this with OBD II. The apps are Torque and Dashcommand. I am doing a magnum swap into 64 Cuda with OBD II and installing a Samsung Tablet into the dash and running Torque. There are all kinds of ways to adjust the "look" of the gauges and with some slight reprogramming of the tablet you can have it turn on as soon as it receives power. Also going to have cellular service so can run maps and also going bluetooth to a bluetooth amp for tunes. Working on getting engine in before moving on to dashboard. Pretty excited!

• Like Like x 1
    • robcuda

Local Time:
      You may already know this, but one needs a wifi or bluetooth device that plugs into the OBD II port that would be mounted under the dash. Something like this:
      https://www.amazon.com/Foseal-Scanner-Adapter-Diagnostic-Android/dp/B00W0SDLRY
      Some plugs work better with android vs. apple (ipad) and some have the ability to go into "sleep mode" or can be manually turned off in order to avoid running the battery down. Also, the apps like Torque and Dashcommand allow you to pull up any codes, etc.
      The quality of the plug can also determine the response time to your tablet, ie Tach. The key is to get a quality plug and a tablet with enough ram to reduce response time from port to tablet. I'm still trying to find a good mates.

• el5dart

Local Time:
      @robcuda
      cant wait to see what you come up with!

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • robcuda

Local Time:
        Thanks bro, I will share it with you when complete. Crossing my fingers 4 weeks. Send some positive energy and a set of 15x7 rims, LOL