Octane and Compression

-

gtxdude

Reaction score
So we're taking the 65 Dart out West in Sept on Route 66, have a mild 318 with 9:2 compression (around there). I've been told that around New Mexico with elevation to switch to lower octane gas till California. Any thoughts on that? Have 600 Eddy on Performer intake. Thanks

I don't think that sounds right.

Regardless of altitude...
If the car does not ping on 85 octane ( just a number) but you put 90 octane (just a number) in it, the result will be that it will not ping.

Now on the other hand if the car doesn't ping on 90 octane (just a number) but you put 85 octane (just a number) in it the result will be that it might ping etc.

Now as for altitude, there is less oxygen in the air and a lower octane will not ping just as good as a higher octane at sea level.

I would just use the highest octane I can buy that does not ping. Heck if you could get 104 octane it would never ping regardless of altitude or load or temprature

Man some of yall like to worry. That's just somethin I wouldn't be concerned with until I got there.

Oh come on, I had nothing else to talk about :rofl:
You can lose power with too much octane. Runs too cool. Always cracks me up when the Dude says he blew up his lawn tractor cause he put racing fuel in it.

Last edited:
your bigger issue is when you get to new mexico and Arizona, the fuel will be loaded with methanol. your engine wont like it much.

It's not just less oxygen, it's less pressure.
Lower octane would probably be fine, but why risk a new variable on a road trip? Stick with what works.

My stock 67 dart 273 low compression runs fine on 85 "regular" here at 5100 feet

On the other hand my 2006 grand caravan 3.3L minivan pings on 85 but runs fine on 87.

Buy yourself a couple bottles of octane booster and carry it in the trunk. If you are forced to buy some weak gas along the way, pour some juice in and rock on.

-
Back