Octane Boost Additives

-

68 Coronet RT

68 GTS # 508 in Registry
Reaction score
Who uses Octane Boost Additives ? What brand is the best to use. I have done some research and Lucas, 104 Octane and Race Gas seem to be the 3 best. Non ethanal gas has dropped down to 90 and the car just doesn't seem to run as good and I will not put 93 octane with ethanal in my car.

Haven't seen any pump gas in the summer that did not have some ethanal. Most have about 10% or less if you buy good fuel. Chances are you have already put ethanal in you car.

Haven't seen any pump gas in the summer that did not have some ethanal. Most have about 10% or less if you buy good fuel. Chances are you have already put ethanal in you car.

In my area we have had 91 Non ethanal for many years. Just within the last couple of months they have dropped it down to 90 non ethanal and you wouldn't think dropping to 90 would make a difference but it has. In my area all of the marina's carry 89 non ethanal and a few have 90. Just looking for a alternative to buying $8.00 a gallon gas.

I hear that. I just took compression out of my engine and made it pump friendly. Gas sucks anymore and the best I could get in racing fuel was 7 bucks a gallon last year.

I hear that. I just took compression out of my engine and made it pump friendly. Gas sucks anymore and the best I could get in racing fuel was 7 bucks a gallon last year.
When my cousin used to race his '48 Anglia (427) he was a military pilot. Needless to say he got all his AV gas for free!! That stuff really smells good when it comes out of the exhaust (flames are pretty also)!! Treblig

I hear you on the gas sucks, my nephew has a new Demon and he has problems finding high octane gas to get the most hp out of his car. He lives in Buffalo and he said there is a couple of places he can get 100 octane but it's not cheap. He said as long as he keeps his foot out of it it's really not that bad on gas LOL but that doesn't happen to often . He gets better mpg with the Demon than I do with my 340 Dart GTS and it a hell of a lot faster than my Dart

Torco Accelerator of BoosTane or however they spell it. I think the BoosTane is a copy of Torco, but I've never used it.

I use Torco.

You guys do understand the higher octane the less volatile the gas is. In other words it burn slower.

The 100 octane pump gas in Buffalo is 10% ethanol.

I hear you on the gas sucks, my nephew has a new Demon and he has problems finding high octane gas to get the most hp out of his car. He lives in Buffalo and he said there is a couple of places he can get 100 octane but it's not cheap. He said as long as he keeps his foot out of it it's really not that bad on gas LOL but that doesn't happen to often . He gets better mpg with the Demon than I do with my 340 Dart GTS and it a hell of a lot faster than my Dart
California is 20 percent plus per gallon on ethanol...

You guys do understand the higher octane the less volatile the gas is. In other words it burn slower.

The 100 octane pump gas in Buffalo is 10% ethanol.

That's not true. Burn rate and octane are mutually exclusive.

Fuel for an engine with a shift speed of 8500 better have a faster burn rate than an engine that is shifted at 7000. There is less time to burn the fuel at 8500 so it needs a much faster burn rate.

That's not true. Burn rate and octane are mutually exclusive.

Fuel for an engine with a shift speed of 8500 better have a faster burn rate than an engine that is shifted at 7000. There is less time to burn the fuel at 8500 so it needs a much faster burn rate.
You like good compression, (10 To 1 plus ,with camshaft timing ) I understand the balance of intake and exhaust tracts...
The point is: To balance the two tracts with a understand of what's actually happening when that intake valve closing and controlling what happens in that quickness.
(Sorry O.P. ,for such derailment)

Who the hell runs their street car engines to 8500 RPMS ?:eek:

I was making a point that burn rate is not hooked to octane rating. I used a very big example because that is easier than trying to use real time numbers.

Your Honda turning 3000 RPM's on pump gas needs a fuel with a fairly slow burn rate. Otherwise, at low RPM's like that, you'll have burn over and done with before you've gotten all the work out of it.

Same thing with high RPM stuff. You need a quick burn rate because you have less real time to get it done.

When was the last time you actually used it yourself?

Earlier this summer. I use it in my car (sometimes) and the die bikes I tune get it. I only use the leaded and I don't think you can get leaded from BoosTane. I emailed them back in February or something and never heard back. So I just bought more Torco.

To me the thing about octane boosters is they changed after tetra-ethyl lead was banned. Before that, they actually made a difference. Now about all they can do is raise it up about to the level of a good super.

To me the thing about octane boosters is they changed after tetra-ethyl lead was banned. Before that, they actually made a difference. Now about all they can do is raise it up about to the level of a good super.

True. It SHOULD also be a fuel conditioner as well as raise octane.

What we call pump gas is barely gasoline by the time all the **** is added to it. **** that won't burn.

From the research I’ve done I think you are better off buying high octane race gas 105+ octane. Mix in a portion accordingly with pump gas. Then you know you’re boosting the octane and you’re not adding unwanted chemicals and can really move octane numbers up. After factoring in the cost of race gas you’re not really paying more. Octane boosters today barely move octane levels.
Carl

Torco Accelerator of BoosTane or however they spell it. I think the BoosTane is a copy of Torco, but I've never used it.

I use Torco.
I used to use torco, it worked very good and was handy to have a can in the trunk at all times.
Quit it when it went to over $20 a qt. "If" I want to boost my gas, which I don't so far, I use b12 chemtool carb and choke/ fuel inj cleaner. All the ingredients are octane boosters, but haven`t figured out the right amount to mix yet.

jfyi

-
Back