Odd problem.

-

1963dartgt

Reaction score
I have a 63 dart 225 auto all original. I drive the car 5 days a week 60 miles a day. On my monthly fluid check i pulled in the driveway car was running great. Shut it down cleaned and vacuumed the interior added 1/2 quart or oil ant trans fluid and changed a very dirty air filter.
Well it took long enough to cool off so i fire the car up into high idle to warm it up. No problems 50psi of oil pressure,running smooth. Then i tap the gas to bring the idle down. It starts dropping all the way down until it dies. It runs great at 75mph but *** soon as i come to a stop i have to feather the gas. Its confusing me all i did was add oil,trans fluid and changed the air filter and now it wont idle.

SHORT VERSION: Added 1/2 quart of oil and trans fluid and changed the air filter and car runs great but wont idle worth a crap.

Thanks for all your help everyone.

Check the air cleaner, make sure you didnt knock a hose off carb or pinch one. Try it without air filter
And check your choke linkage.

Unless you have re routed the fuel line at the engine/carb sorry gas boiling can be a problem starting/running ....

The oil pressure has nothing to do with fuel issure right?

I have had similar problems with slack in timing chains too!

Sounds like you're driving quite a bit when is the last time you had a full tune up?

Fuel line mod has been done,car has been rewired. It has hei ignition and my last tune up has been a while so ill pull the plugs today and check. I do drive alot before i got the car from my uncle that passed away i convinced my wife (we were looking for a second car at the time) that i could put a couple of grand in the car and we wouldnt have a payment. So i put about 35000 miles on the car in the last three years just driving it.

You said the air filter was very dirty... was it so dirty that it was acting like a choke, and now with the restriction removed it's too lean to idle?

Try adjusting the carburetor with the new air filter in place.

Ill check the idle but i think the plugs need attention and maybe a valve lash aswell.

Can you define "a while"? LOL
If it's been awhile since the last tune-up and definitely over 35,000 miles since the last valve lash adjustment I would say you're about due. Along with everything else plugs wires rotor cap valve adjustment oil change it probably wouldn't hurt to grab a couple cans of carb cleaner and go to town on that carburetor inside and out. Then of course check all the vacuum hoses to make sure they're all connected, clean, and in good Nick.
For all that you're still under the cost of half of one modern car payment!!
And probably good to go for three more trouble free years lol!

Its been about 6 months for plugs cap rotor and wires. The oil was just changed i dont burn any just have a little leak. The valve adjustment i just did before winter.

Its been about 6 months for plugs cap rotor and wires. The oil was just changed i dont burn any just have a little leak. The valve adjustment i just did before winter.
Okay back to cleaning that carb and checking for vacuum leaks LOL

Although i should mention i moved from california to kansas about a month ago and the gas thats out here has ethanol in it (labeled e-10 87 octane). I dont know if thats affected anything but ive put about 4 tanks through it.

Although i should mention i moved from california to kansas about a month ago and the gas thats out here has ethanol in it (labeled e-10 87 octane). I dont know if thats affected anything but ive put about 4 tanks through it.
Well the good part is you did get out of California!

So a little adjustment on the fuel mixture screw and a tad on the idle adjustment and tightening up the pcv shes purring like a kitten. Thanks

So a little adjustment on the fuel mixture screw and a tad on the idle adjustment and tightening up the pcv shes purring like a kitten. Thanks
Just goes to show everybody out there if you do everything I tell you not to do it will turn out perfect! Your welcome LOL

-
Back