OE gas tank “spacer”? Yea...step on in!

-

dusterdoug

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
So I’ve acquired this repo OE tank for my Dart heap. It has an Aeromotive in tank pump installed that sticks out of the top just a hair over an inch. The previous owner cut a hole in his trunk floor but I don’t care for that option.

Thus I’m wondering...

What material would you use to space the tank an inch or so from the floor and still allow the tank to be snugged up with the straps? I’m thinking really dense foam rubber material, or just cut up a few tank pads??

I’m not worried about the OE filler neck alignment, I can easily solve that.

Discuss...

Thank you!

I would not think you want anything compressible. Maybe some rectangular aluminum tubing, say, 1" X 3-4" wide or so, front to back, both sides right inline with the straps. In fact, "I guess" you might be able to cut them long, with a slot/ hole in the end to index the strap and keep them aligned before tightening. Us thin pad material above and below the tubing

I would not think you want anything compressible. Maybe some rectangular aluminum tubing, say, 1" X 3-4" wide or so, front to back, both sides right inline with the straps. In fact, "I guess" you might be able to cut them long, with a slot/ hole in the end to index the strap and keep them aligned before tightening. Us thin pad material above and below the tubing

Been thinking about this also. My dual pick ups are in the back bottom corners of a new stock tank, I wish they were a little lower !

I'm guessing that you're on to something here!

So I’ve acquired this repo OE tank for my Dart heap. It has an Aeromotive in tank pump installed that sticks out of the top just a hair over an inch. The previous owner cut a hole in his trunk floor but I don’t care for that option.

Thus I’m wondering...

What material would you use to space the tank an inch or so from the floor and still allow the tank to be snugged up with the straps? I’m thinking really dense foam rubber material, or just cut up a few tank pads??

Discuss...

Thank you![/QUOTE Wont your straps be too short?

Thus I’m wondering...

Discuss...

Thank you!

Your tank straps won't be long enough. Have you considered cutting an area surrounding your pump and welding in a 1 inch strip of metal to allow the mounting deck of the pump to sit an inch lower? See a similar step modification in the lower photo.

For what its worth, I used a hard rubber door mat to make a insulating strips that fit where the stock fibrous mat goes. It works great between my under trunk floor gussets and my custom stainless tank from Rick's Tanks.

I chose to mount my fuel pump outside the tank and use 2 Holley Hydramats inside the tank for pickups. Those things are awesome!

Fuel pump.jpg

Tank4.JPG

Tank5.JPG

Interesting info, thanks. Areomotive recommends a very dense foam rubber to space the tank. I like the heavy rubber door mat idea. I actually had the idea to make a tank pad out of a door mat, with a hole cut for fuel pump clearance.

As for the straps, I figured I'd lengthen the OE straps or fab up some new ones.

I'll be wrestling with this a week or two, and I'll let y'all know what happens.

-
Back