oem compressed head gasket thickness on a 360la?

-
Next question, does anyone know what head gaskets they used on the 360's?

If it was factory steel shim, most were .020 Most part store replacements are .038 that I know of.

Ok spill the beans. What are you up to?
I have a mopar performance short block p4876907 witch has a dech height of 9.56" and heads that i'm guessing have been milled .010 they are 71cc combustion chambers (had them cc.d) I do not think the intake side was milled, I am going to use a felpro 8553pt head gasket, I am new to this and just trying to figure out if I should mill the head intake side .0095 and was trying to make it work using stock push rods with stamped rocker arms and rocker shaft shims.

I have a mopar performance short block p4876907 witch has a dech height of 9.56" and heads that i'm guessing have been milled .010 they are 71cc combustion chambers (had them cc.d) I do not think the intake side was milled, I am going to use a felpro 8553pt head gasket, I am new to this and just trying to figure out if I should mill the head intake side .0095 and was trying to make it work using stock push rods with stamped rocker arms and rocker shaft shims.
I was wanting the pan rail to intake rail measurement to check to see if mopar milled it when they decked the block.

At .009 I wouldn't worry about it.
Compressed thickness
Stock. 019-.021
Parts store replacement 8553 felpro.046-.048
Felpro 541sd .054
Felpro 1008 .039

Sites state different numbers, some are pretty off from what I've measured during mock up and tear down.

FWIW..... my '65 FSM lists the stock head gasket compressed thickness at .028" for small blocks (273, and 318 poly) and .021" for the big blocks. I am sure it varied around those numbers.
I personally would use the Felpro 1008's and not worry about the milling the head's intake side for just .010" off the main head surface. That is a total upward movement of the head of maybe as much as .020" from the head gasket change less .010" from the head, or as much as +.010". Otherwise use the .028" Mr Gasket 1121G.

The .040" drop of the block's deck height from the standard LA nominal of 9.600" is a bigger issue for the pushrods etc. But shims will makes up 1.5 times the shim thickness in pushrod lengths. I.e., .030" shims will make up for an added .045" in pushrod length.

How much cam lift is going in this engine?

FWIW..... my '65 FSM lists the stock head gasket compressed thickness at .028" for small blocks (273, and 318 poly) and .021" for the big blocks. I am sure it varied around those numbers.
I personally would use the Felpro 1008's and not worry about the milling the head's intake side for just .010" off the main head surface. That is a total upward movement of the head of maybe as much as .020" from the head gasket change less .010" from the head, or as much as +.010". Otherwise use the .028" Mr Gasket 1121G.

The .040" drop of the block's deck height from the standard LA nominal of 9.600" is a bigger issue for the pushrods etc. But shims will makes up 1.5 times the shim thickness in pushrod lengths. I.e., .030" shims will make up for an added .045" in pushrod length.

How much cam lift is going in this engine?
455" lift on the cam

OK, that is not a ton of lift, so any geometry effects of the shims ought to be not too much at all , IMHO.

-
Back