Official 3rd Gen Hemi thread

New Hemi Engine Swaps

1. danmc77

danmc77 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    3:44 AM
    Hey 3rd Gen Hemi guys - can we start an official thread with links to common modifications, issues, builds, etc? Feel free to post pics, info, links to other sites and retailers - anything that you may feel is relevent to the 3rd Gen Hemi. Let's see some of your builds - what you did, how you did it, and from what places you got your info.

Maybe we can get this thread sticky-ed and use it as a reference.

2. TxSwimDad

TxSwimDad Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    2:44 AM
    Sounds good. I'm tuning in :)

3. 5.7 hemi

5.7 hemi FABO Gold Member FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
  4. 5.7 hemi

Local Time:
  5. 5.7 hemi

Local Time:
    Piss on it, I give up!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. Cevidicus

Cevidicus CevidiGrinch

Local Time:
    Here are some links I thought would be useful to anyone contemplating a 2009 - current 5.7 swap. Specifically the Variable cam timing or VCT. And a link to my thread on the subject in Inertia Motorsports forum. They have been quite helpful.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysler_Hemi_engine
    General info .... Note revision for 2009 5.7 'Eagle'

http://www.lxforums.com/board/showthread.php?t=138211
    VCT info for 2009 5.7 .....good read

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=97262
    Discussion on the VCT control issue for 2009 w/ carb.... links here too

http://www.enginebuildermag.com/Article/72006/building_a_late_model_hemi_stroker.aspx
    Building a late model stroker..... indepth lots of info

7. rjsjea

rjsjea Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    12:44 AM
  8. Cevidicus

Cevidicus CevidiGrinch

Local Time:
  9. TxSwimDad

Local Time:

FYI....these are good products. A while back there was an issue with the crank that MUST be clearanced to avoid damaging other components. I want to say it was around one of the journals. I can't remember the details at the moment, but be sure and research it just to make sure the crank you get is corrected of you go w/ a K1.

10. boden

boden Well-Known Member

Local Time:
  11. LS-300

LS-300 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    I know I may be a bit on the lazy side but looking thru all of those articals I couldn't find if there is any differences in the years. Is one better for the swap than the other? I have heard the truck Hemi is a bit easier but the car looks better. But are the 2003 the same as a 2007?

12. TxSwimDad

Local Time:
    There are a couple things to consider.

T will divide them into the mechanical portions and the electronic.

Mechanically, the Truck Hemi has a different water pump housing which holds the alt & PS pump up high in the engine compartment. The car Hemi has those accessories mounted down low which causes interference w/ factory K-members and frames in an A-body. THe intake manifolds are different between the two but can be intercangable w/ some adaptation. Beyond those differences, the engines themselves are the same.

El;ectronically, the trucks factory ECM from the 03 is available as a stand alone ECM, meaning that it doesn not tie in the trans controls. The trans had its on ECM of sorts. The engine OEM ECM is not as tunable and you will be limited to a rather conservative cam, but you can run any smal bolt pattern trans with it.

The later ECM's all include trans controls which can be eliminated by use of an aftermarket tuner (Diablo) and it can also accomodate a wider range of cams.

If you are are satisfied with using w factory engine/cam comination and do not plan to get aggressive w/ the cam, the early truck ECM might be for you. If you are going to get a big cam and other mods, consider a later ECM.

I hope that sums it up for you.

• Like Like x 2
    • LS-300

LS-300 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
      What I'm thinking of is a carb instead of EFI as I like the look. The cam will also be bumped up as I understand this is a weak area and brings a good bang for the buck. As for a trany, I will be running with a manual, not sure 4 or 5 speed at this time. I want it to look period correct and will be using a k-member from a 73 dart that uses the spool mounts. It will have manual steering and power brakes. Not sure about adding AC as it currently doesn't have it. I have come across a couple of affordable engines but am concerned if there are a few to stay away from.

• Cevidicus

Cevidicus CevidiGrinch

Local Time:
      On the other hand, the 2009, 2010 5.7 is quite different. And has great potential with more compression (10.25:1 vs 9.6:1) and revised heads that flow nearly as much 6.1's, or so I have been told. About the only components that are the same are the crank and rods. If running aftermarket intake and headers, 6.1 style must be used.

58 tooth reluctor wheel vs 08 down 31+1 arangement, And the introduction of Variable Cam Timing are the main problems when using this engine in a swap to an older body.

Through persistant poking, prodding and the generous advice of a some (like 392Stu), I have found few options to control this engine. At current time.....

One option reccamended by 392Stu, that is doable now, is to swap to the older style reluctor wheel and weld the cam phaser to the cam sprocket. The MSD HEMI 6 will work if one was to go this route. This may also require new rod bolts as well since they are torque to yeild.

FAST XIM ignition will drive the coils and read the new reluctor wheel (there is a 'dip switch' for this app) Not currently able to handle VCT function. Though more expensive than an MSD set up, one would not have to disassemble the bottom end and replace rod bolts. (Thanks to Rich @ FastManEFI for looking into this)

Electromotive's XDI box will run the ignition and VCT, but, it's high dollar stuff and will need extensive tuning....and maybe a second XDI box! (per Electromotive)

MSD is talking with Mopar Performance to see what they can do........ http://www.msdignition.com/forum/showthread.php?p=63711

Regardless, the MDS lifters and yokes must be replaced with non-MDS units and the 4 solonoids replaced with plugs. As with all MDS 5.7's in retro app.

All in all the 5.7 "Eagle" Hemi has more performance potential than the 08 and older 5.7's but, still has some technical issues to be sorted out. I expect that in time some aftermarket company will work out these issues.

• LS-300

LS-300 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
      It almost sound like a pre 09 engine with the new heads may be a winning ticket.

• Cevidicus

Cevidicus CevidiGrinch

Local Time:
      With custom piston and/or custom combustion chamber work, Hell yea!

The Eagle head has like 63cc chambers stock.......vs 08 down 84ishcc's

check out the 5.7 VVT Big Chamber Cylinder Heads : http://www.inertiamotorsports.com/cylinderheads.html

That is what I would do if I was not determined to use the 09 I have.

• Crazy4Carz

Crazy4Carz Well-Known Member

Local Time:
      Here is a link to the build on mine, everything is there.

http://www.crazy4carz.net/carzboard...but-soon-Crazy4Carz-Project-Dart&referrerid=1

It is very long. feel free to skip around but the entire build is there. There is even a part on when we manufactured a dolly to roll the engine around and install from under the car (the second time) Build materials are there. and some good how-to stuff. Please ask me any questions. There have been several cosmetic changes since this.

• threesixty8

threesixty8 New Member

Local Time:
      5:44 AM
      Great info guys! I just joined and i have a couple of Hemi-in-Early A projects going. I´m far away from everything (now living in Argentina), so all help to avoid problems is GREATLY appreciated!

• Cevidicus

Cevidicus CevidiGrinch

Local Time:
    • threesixty8

threesixty8 New Member

Local Time:
      5:44 AM
      Great pdf, the only thing is, I think they mixed-up the push rod lengths between the 5.7 and the 6.1. I understand the 6.1 has longer pushrods because the difference in the lob heights is taken out of the base circle (not added on to the top of the lobs), thereby needing longer rods.

• RealWing

RealWing FABO Gold Member FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
      I'm starting to research a new project to install a 6.1 L Hemi into a 1969 Barracuda Convertible (original 318, 904 with console) and using RMS front and rear suspension. The Keisler 4L60E Hydra-matic kit looks like it will install without any body cutting or mods, but I cant find out for sure if the Mopar 545RFE 5 speed automatic will install without any body mods.

Can someone confirm?
      Thanks

• ateam

ateam A motor can

Local Time:
      12:44 AM
    • Cevidicus

Cevidicus CevidiGrinch

Local Time:

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=91570&highlight=545RFE+5+speed+automatic

Do a search for 545FE 5 speed here on FABO, And you will see many threads on the subject. TinCup has a great thread in which he uses a 545fe...:read2:

• Like Like x 1
      1. This site uses cookies to help personalize content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
        By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.