oh so close......

-

motorcitymagnum

Reaction score
afternoon fella's
it's been a while since i've posted anything but here goes. i've been on a quest to get my 5.9l magnum (duster) in the 9's. ran a best 10.10 at 131mph. so close!! season is over so time to think about build. i want to thank member bobzilla for bouncing some ideas my way. he has seen some passes. i really like pyop,grudge racing so being competative with small block is tuff. thinking of keeping 5.9l to try to run 9 but building another combo to step up. 3g hemi?
thanks motorcitymagnum!!
IMG_0612.JPG

afternoon fella's
it's been a while since i've posted anything but here goes. i've been on a quest to get my 5.9l magnum (duster) in the 9's. ran a best 10.10 at 131mph. so close!! season is over so time to think about build. i want to thank member bobzilla for bouncing some ideas my way. he has seen some passes. i really like pyop,grudge racing so being competative with small block is tuff. thinking of keeping 5.9l to try to run 9 but building another combo to step up. 3g hemi?
thanks motorcitymagnum!!View attachment 1715819663

Don’t be so bashful tell us about your combo.

Thanks. I was even mentioned in that post but must have missed it. I only know a couple guys off the top of my head running the magnum blocks ( Nick Bowman and Michael Beard) but they are both stroker engines running in the 10’s NA. Nick is running magnum heads ported by his Dad Tim and Michael stepped up to TrickFlow heads this year.

Pretty impressive for a stock stroke 5.9.

Nice work! Just a little be more and you'll make it (bump it to a 250 shot and you're there). My plan WAS to go for a 9.9999 when the air got cool, but my car had other plans. Got a leaking freeze plug that ended my season a little early. Oh well, next year I'll try again. I would need near perfect conditions to get my car in the 9's NA, but there is hope.

Thanks. I was even mentioned in that post but must have missed it. I only know a couple guys off the top of my head running the magnum blocks ( Nick Bowman and Michael Beard) but they are both stroker engines running in the 10’s NA. Nick is running magnum heads ported by his Dad Tim and Michael stepped up to TrickFlow heads this year.

Speaking of Michael he represented the Mopar guys again over the weekend winning another 5000.00 race.
CDF50FD7-0272-4588-8715-6F558F70EA68.jpeg
FEF9AEC5-06DE-46CD-A30C-67B2514E32EB.jpeg

Nice work! Just a little be more and you'll make it (bump it to a 250 shot and you're there). My plan WAS to go for a 9.9999 when the air got cool, but my car had other plans. Got a leaking freeze plug that ended my season a little early. Oh well, next year I'll try again. I would need near perfect conditions to get my car in the 9's NA, but there is hope.
It's not my place to say too much, but there is likely a 9.99 pass in motorcitymagnum's car the way it is, without increasing the nitrous jetting. A perfect pass in drier air with a little more aggressive launch should get it there. I don't think he is leaning on it very hard. This is a good example of what a well sorted combination can do.

It's not my place to say too much, but there is likely a 9.99 pass in motorcitymagnum's car the way it is, without increasing the nitrous jetting. A perfect pass in drier air with a little more aggressive launch should get it there. I don't think he is leaning on it very hard. This is a good example of what a well sorted combination can do.
Gotcha, I was just looking at the 10.1 @ 131 part...that is pretty much identical to what my car is running (ET and speed), and my car is very well sorted out. That is why I was saying a little more nitrous would put you over the top, or if it could handle it, a couple more degrees of timing.

I used to run nitrous all the time many years ago...fun (and safe) if applied correctly.

Gotcha, I was just looking at the 10.1 @ 131 part...that is pretty much identical to what my car is running (ET and speed), and my car is very well sorted out. That is why I was saying a little more nitrous would put you over the top, or if it could handle it, a couple more degrees of timing.

I used to run nitrous all the time many years ago...fun (and safe) if applied correctly.

Depending on the ops actual tune a couple degrees less perhaps?, no point in hitting the pistons while they are still on the way up?. I only got 1.4 secs gain from an old cheater 250 shot (around 200hp .093 thou orifice N solenoid) on my 340 back in the 80's, rich tune (110N/110F) and only came back 3 degrees on 97 leaded octane, went from 108NA>122.8mph worked out to only a 130-ish hp increase according to weight/mph. More you clean the tune up today with smaller F jet the less advance, timing is what kills N motors, not lean is how I see it.

My old nitrous motor (360 eddy heads) tune was 27-28° timing with a 180 shot from my cheater system. This with 50/50 mix of 93 octane/110 octane gas. Altogether this knocked 2.8 seconds off my ET, 13.9-11.1 (this was in Colorado at Bandimere Speedway).

Too much timing can kill a nitrous motor very quickly, but so can a lean condition. Nitrous is an oxidizer, and it wants to "eat" in simple terms....if you feed it plenty of fuel it is happy (and relatively safe), if you don't it will eat whatever it can get...like spark plugs (if you are lucky) and pistons (if you have no luck).

afternoon fella's
thanks motorcitymagnum!!View attachment 1715819663
Nice car! I sent you a PM.

My old nitrous motor (360 eddy heads) tune was 27-28° timing with a 180 shot from my cheater system. This with 50/50 mix of 93 octane/110 octane gas. Altogether this knocked 2.8 seconds off my ET, 13.9-11.1 (this was in Colorado at Bandimere Speedway).

Too much timing can kill a nitrous motor very quickly, but so can a lean condition. Nitrous is an oxidizer, and it wants to "eat" in simple terms....if you feed it plenty of fuel it is happy (and relatively safe), if you don't it will eat whatever it can get...like spark plugs (if you are lucky) and pistons (if you have no luck).
Engine masters did a show on how much nitrous it took to kill a stock shortblock 305 Chevy. I think it survived a 300 shot, to 600+ hp, then burnt a piston and blew a head gasket.
The late great lamented Mopar nitrous guru, Monte Smith said they screwed up, it wasn't too much nitrous, they just didn't take enough timing out. I think he said 700 was do-able.

Thanks fella’s for the comments. Sometime this weekend I’ll post some more info on condo. My 60’ time is not the best.

i have posted some details on unported head quickness,10 sec. combo, and new members sections. i run comp cam 20-814-9 with 1.66 rockers.
msd ready to run dist. 32 total and all in at 2000 rpm.
fastest mph is 132.43 10.12 1.49 sixty
fastest et 10.10 130.97 mph 1.44 sixty
plugs looked good and fuel pressure was spot on. bobzilla and i checked both pumps.thanks boss! afr .80 stoich. thru traps.
i footbrake at 2300-2500. nitrous is on timer. launch at 20% for .5 sec/1.0 sec then hang on!!!
i have grabbed spray 100% at hit, nice little wheels up action but last time the 904 said bye bye!!! we will see, in april, a 9 sec pass!!!!!!! did leak down check,compression check,oil filter check. all good!!!
checkup.jpg

thanks! motorcitymagnum

My buddy Randy was at the same choice-point YEARS ago. We 'rescued' a couple 360 cores out of the back of a barn on a 20 degree below zero winter which you'd think would have solidified the direction he would take. A couple weeks later I talked him into an 11:1 451 low-deck we built for $4500 carb to pan with a lot of free-work from me. (we're close friends and trade often) It ran 134mph thru 3" mufflers ON MOTOR. It's just hard to beat a BB when it comes to bang for the buck.

-
Back