Oil Accumulator Install

-

SBeeMan

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Thinking about installing a Canton 2qt accumulator on my '69 Dart bracket car.
Like to see some pics of where you installed yours.
Thanks

Thanks

No pics , but the only one I`ve been around was installed on the flat upper part of a 68 roadrunner drivers side fender .

Last car i worked on that had one had it on the passenger floor. That way the driver can open and close the valve from the driver seat. That was an SCCA car so not sure they are legal inside the car for NHRA?

I kicked around putting one on the hump in my dart but thats as far as i went.

I wouldn't want it inside the car.
Plan to use the electric valve on it so not having to turn it on and off manual.
Right now I'm thinking top of pass. side inner fenderwell.
Maybe down on the top of the frame rail.
Hoped someone might have some pics of their install.
It's a 340 stroker motor,so I have a little more room in there.

I have the Canton system. Waiting to put my 2qt in as well. Thinking about the passenger side top fender and plumb into the back of my BB. Andrew

i've test fitted my accusump on a couple different cars over the years but never did fully get around to it. the only good places i've found, that don't have it in the passenger area, are in the fender / grill area or in the trunk, but that's a lot of line to run all the way back

I wouldn't want it inside the car.
Plan to use the electric valve on it so not having to turn it on and off manual.
Right now I'm thinking top of pass. side inner fenderwell.
Maybe down on the top of the frame rail.
Hoped someone might have some pics of their install.
It's a 340 stroker motor,so I have a little more room in there.

The roadrunner I referred to had a prostock type hemi engine, oil pump on drivers side .

So this is the diaphragm style you can mount in any position? I mounted my non-diaphragm one up in the wheel well, behind my headlight bucket on the backside of the inner fender. I used the canton sandwich adapter for the filter. Cleared fine using the stock 90 deg filter adapter. In the end I removed it all. Didn’t need the weight and I really put it in to pre-lube the motor after sitting for awhile back when it was a street car and I was paranoid. Gave it to a friend who runs a sbc and had oiling issues just as he turned on the return road.

I heard the R3 blocks have oil drainback issues so I picked up a nice used one with the electric switch on it. I ended up drilling more holes in the intake valley and it worked great. So it sits on my shelf for now. I’ll end up using it on something. Lol

I bought one from a buddy for $40.00 with the ball valve and four feet of AN hose. It's the older style without the diaphram. Hope to use when the time comes...

918537B0-C352-437D-9BC9-ECC39BF4B53F.jpeg
Thanks

I have it set up so before every start the electric valve opens and pre oils the motor.

Where are you small block guys plumbing the
Accusump in on a production block?

This seems like an awesome addition to the performance and longevity of a hard driven engine. It looks like these come in a broad variety of sizes…

What size/features would an autocross oriented small block benefit from?

I have just finished mounting mine on the passenger inner fender on my SS/JA Duster.

20220125_093626.jpg
20220201_201244.jpg
20220201_201234.jpg

Where are you small block guys plumbing the
Accusump in on a production block?
I have a Canton plate that sandwiches between the 90 degree oil filter mount and the filter. The plate has a 10AN fitting into it. I use Napa Gold 1335 filter to fit.

20211119_191114.jpg

Last edited:
I just realized this is an older post brought back to life. Sorry.

I just realized this is an older post brought back to life. Sorry.

No need to be sorry. What you posted is relevant to the topic. I just picked up my engine and an accusump was suggested by the builder. How beneficial are these? Does it offer a certain margin of safety and longevity to the engine?

No need to be sorry. What you posted is relevant to the topic. I just picked up my engine and an accusump was suggested by the builder. How beneficial are these? Does it offer a certain margin of safety and longevity to the engine?
Benefits to running an accumulator include:

Full oil pressure to the engine before starting.

Continued oil pressure to overcome momentary oil pressure losses from rapid acceleration, deceleration, or aggressive cornering.

In the unfortunate event of a problem where oil pressure, or oil is being lost from engine, you have a buffer of whatever volume is in the accumulator until you get it shut down. In my case it is a 3qt accumulator.

-
Back