Oil and filter recommendations

-

Tadams

Tadams
Reaction score
Ready to install the 273 commando when the rain ends. Just checking on which filter and oil you reccomend

I would recommend a high zinc content oil for your break-in with a flat tappet cam. Brand is your choice. I use conventional 10-30 Mobile with Edelbrock zinc additive. 65'

I run Wix or Napa Gold filters.

For oil, I would suggest running high zinc in anything older with flat tappets, and not just for breaking it in. I'm no oil expert, but I have read an awful lot of articles and forums that talk about how zinc levels were reduced in most oils, causing cam issues in flat tappet motors with them wiping off lobes.

I run Valvoline VR1 in my cars. In my old Chevy C10, I run Rotella 10w-30, mainly because it is cheaper, but still has a higher zinc content for older motors that need it. I run standard Valvoline synthetic blend in my newer daily drivers because of their roller valve trains.

Wix(American made) or Motorcraft for filters Joe gibbs racing oil!!

Joe Gibbs break in oil. If I remember there is a Mopar guy that does engines near you that stocks it. I use Valvoline Racing since it is easy to get locally. Wix, Napa, Fram Tough Gard, every 3,000 miles.

Rotella Synthetic T6 5W-40 has 1200 ppm of ZDDP, which should be plenty, and can be bought for $20/gallon on sale at Wallyworld.

Lucas Hod Rod oil. WIX filter. Keep runnin the same after break in. Pretty simple.

Hot Rod oils are a good choice for hobbyist engines. They generally have enhanced ZDDP levels for anti-wear protection, and anti-rust additives to help control corrosion in engines that sit unused for extended periods. Lucas, Amzoil and Gibbs all make them, as I'm sure do others.
This is a good article that covers the basics of what happened with motor oil over the last few decades. It should help clear up myths and untruths that are all over out there.
HISTORY OF ZINC & MODERN DAY PASSENGER CAR MOTOR OIL

Wix, NAPA (same thing), Baldwin, or Hastings, if you can find them. DO NOT USE Fram filters

Baldwin bought out Hastings sometime around in the mid-nineties. It's very possible the only difference between the filters is paint.
If you find some old stock of Hastings depth type filters with "Casite," throw them in the trash. They are basically a steel can with a cotton-like media stuffed in. Very soon after installing, oil will find a path of least resistance, and go virtually unfiltered. The folded paper is a far superior filtering media.

Mann+Hammel owns Wix (also purolator) now. I run a Mopar Performance 90 filter or Wix.

Kendall 20W50 GT1 with half bottle of Lucas Zinc additive , with a mopar filter

Last edited:
Fram XG Ultra are supposedly one of best with reinforced wire mesh. Their top of the line filter ~$9 Purolator have a tendency to tear at the pleats.

The cheap orange can Frams with cardboard end caps are junk.

I would research independent lab results for oils and filters, I believe
Purolator filters where the best last year when I looked. But manufactures
quality seems to be a moving target these days, good today bad tomorrow.

-
Back