Oil change tools.

-

JoeSBP

RLTW!
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
This may be a fairly weak post, but it is a straighforward RFI. I need some quality oil change stuff. I am tired of dikn around with the cheap plastic stuff that leaks everywhere. I like the deep open galvanized pans(and have a few), but hate having to clean them out.

Basically I'm looking for a cross between the cheap drain pan/oil container combo, but made out of galvanized steel like the pans. I have a 3gal bucket with a pour spout top I use to hold it until I go dump it. In my diesel it was cake since the bucket fit under the truck. Just trying to make my life easier. I know there are some other crafty and lazy types on this site as well, whats your set up?

what if you line your galvanized pan with a cheap plastic tub? Those jerry can looking oil collection containers are given away free out here at carnivals and fairs from the waste management district. Usually a van full of them, every guy seems to have one on the way out.

what if you line your galvanized pan with a cheap plastic tub?

Funny you mention that. I was bitchn last week while cleaning one out, and the old lady said," you should just cover them with a crock pot liner"...

a Jerry can style one is exactly what I want. Easy to wipe off, pour oil out, then seal it up and stick it in the corner.

something like this..but this not the free design.
97608_zzz_500.jpg

or the big boy 12.5 qt size.
51-TDmlg1CL.jpg

Capture.JPG
I have one similar. Love it.Lots of capacity and a built in spout to pour into a waste oil container. I think Mac Tools still has them.

Those are the type I hate. They drool oil. Was thinking maybe a steel jerry can with a 55gal drum bung welded into it's side, then a large galvanized funnel with a bung cap welded to the base. Screw funnel on, drain oil, screw funnel off, cap with standard bung cap.

Something just like this, but modify it to take a funnel on it's side and seal back up. I think a 55gal drum bung would work well. They aren't cheap, but I'm past the point in my life of pinching pennies. I would rather spend the cash, and make it the last time I'm buying that particular thing.

fuel can.jpg

Something just like this, but modify it to take a funnel on it's side and seal back up. I think a 55gal drum bung would work well. They aren't cheap, but I'm past the point in my life of pinching pennies. I would rather spend the cash, and make it the last time I'm buying that particular thing.

View attachment 1715156914
Do you have a hoist?

Nah I just use a floor jack and stands

Those are the type I hate. They drool oil.

I have been using that type for years, and never a drool, LOL. After oil is drained I put the plug in, and wipe the tub out a bit with a couple paper towels.

When it's full I drain it into a 40 gallon jug and give it to a guy that heats his massive shop with a used oil furnace.

which one do you use? I have never found a plastic one that didn't leak

which one do you use? I have never found a plastic one that didn't leak
Too bad, The one I have is probably 10+ years old. Works perfect. I sold them when I was a Mac Dealer. Where did you buy yours at?

Agreed, but I have yet to find anything quality

I have the one with the yellow screw on funnel. Used it for at least 15 years. Not my favorite.
Also use a 30”x30”4”deep pan. Believe it was from a bakery.
They catch all the drips, and i pour it off the corner and clean it by rubbing sawdust around inside.
Great for cleaning parts in too.

I had a leaker in the trunk of my Diamante, tossed the entire trunk mat and it still stunk like a differential, I cant imagine what the dealer did with that car in trade once they found that out! I know, they sent it to auction and made 2X what they gave me for it. My cap actually split, maybe I tightened it too far or it broke down..

-
Back