Oil choice for 1962 Lancer? What do you use in your Slant Six?

-

Max10

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I recently picked up a 1962 Lancer (unsure of whether it's a 170 or 225, although it probably doesn't matter for this question). Miles and maintenance history on the motor are unknown. Does seem to run decently.

What's a good oil weight? And, do you personally use an oil higher in ZDDP or an additive? Or do you feel that's unnecessary? I know the ZDDP things has opinions all over the map. I'd be interested in hearing what folks here actually do. Thanks.

I use Lucas Hod Rod and Classic 10/30.

I use any 10/40 on sale. Personally I think brand/weight is of less importance than keeping up with scheduled changes.

Read this and this. It will also be a good idea to service the oil pressure relief valve to make sure it's doing its job, as described in these two threads.

Oil (and filter, and spark plug) selection are topics that start bloody religious wars. Opinions vastly outnumber facts. Have a thick skin and take all advice with a Super Big Gulp of common sense.

Since it is flat tappet cam. You do want a higher zinc oil, or ZDDP with your change.

I run Penn Grade.

I love me some @slantsixdan. He knows his stuff and is always willing to help. I know though, that there are MANY different thought processes on ZDDP content. I'll say this. If the levels of ZDDP in anything available for automotive use was too high, I think we'd see evidence from that. I don't know of any. That doesn't mean what he posted in the link is incorrect by any means, just that I have not seen any evidence from anyone on it. As many people that run ZDDP enriched oil and run ZDDP additives, it seems like we'd be seeing some negative reports. So far, I have not.

"All that" said, I am a believer in technology. I know synthetic oil is a good thing. But my hangup is of course the fact that I run flat tappet stuff. I've read many opinions including a lot that says when running synthetic, the ZDDP content is not "that" important anymore, since the synthetic oil had so much better lubricating properties. I don't know what to believe, but SO FAR I've had good success using the Lucas oil and it has 2400 PPM of ZDDP. I've run it in my 75 Ford for approaching ten years now with zero problems.

unsure of whether it's a 170 or 225

Not to sidetrack your oil question, but to figure out which engine you have look at the short heater hose that runs at the front of the engine, between the block and the head. If it's about 2" long, it's a 170. If it's a little over 3" long it's a 225 (or possibly a 198 but those are not real common).

I have the original 225 in my 66 Valiant, somewhere around 128K miles. I run whatever 30 weight is on sale. I don't run the car in any kind of extreme weather. When it gets the new engine this winter, I will run 5-30 which is a good match for my part of the world.

I appreciate all the responses. Thank you. It's always interesting to read enthusiast car opinions, be it on a specialty forum like this, or a more general BobIsTheOilGuy thread. Thanks for the linked posts SlantSixDan, makes for a good, in depth evaluation. HalfaFish, thanks, I'll check the hose length.

That slant has work hardened lifter that I guarantee are as concave as the cam is convex. I never pulled a lifter out of a slant that was even still flat, yet they all ran fine. Breaking in a flat tappet cam seems to require a dino oil with zinc, like Rotella Diesel or other that still has the good stuff in it but for a classic with 50 year old soft springs and a 98HP motor, clean oil is more important than zinc content.

I use delo 15w40 as I live In a warm climate and it can be used for my diesel truck and the dart since it has the ck and sn ratings.

I love me some @slantsixdan. He knows his stuff and is always willing to help. I know though, that there are MANY different thought processes on ZDDP content. I'll say this. If the levels of ZDDP in anything available for automotive use was too high, I think we'd see evidence from that. I don't know of any. That doesn't mean what he posted in the link is incorrect by any means, just that I have not seen any evidence from anyone on it. As many people that run ZDDP enriched oil and run ZDDP additives, it seems like we'd be seeing some negative reports. So far, I have not.

"All that" said, I am a believer in technology. I know synthetic oil is a good thing. But my hangup is of course the fact that I run flat tappet stuff. I've read many opinions including a lot that says when running synthetic, the ZDDP content is not "that" important anymore, since the synthetic oil had so much better lubricating properties. I don't know what to believe, but SO FAR I've had good success using the Lucas oil and it has 2400 PPM of ZDDP. I've run it in my 75 Ford for approaching ten years now with zero problems.

On a high horsepower motor with a hot cam and a lot of valve spring pressure, I personally would run some oil with ZDDP like Brad Penn or the like. For a stock slant six I wouldn't worry about it. Any off the shelf oil should be fine.

-
Back