Oil filter adapter gasket location

-

toolmanmike

Staff member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Here's where they go.

oil filter adapter gaskets.jpeg

I'm shocked by the idea that someone couldn't put 2 n 2 together and understand the cork would just smash squish right out if used under the hex head.
Oh well.

Great tech tip. Lots of guys need this and I’m not just talking about beginners. I can’t believe the guys that have issues sealing these up.

I always shyed away from those style gaskets. I worried that the legs from the outer ring to the inner ring would break off and clog up the works.......and KABOOMYOW!

I was just going to ask this question. Dug mine out of a box its been in for 15 years and gaskets were gone. Wasn't sure if it used inside and outside gaskets on the bolt. Thanks!

I use torque specs for head bolts, rod and main bolts. All others not so much.

Late model bolts on the aluminum adaptors have staggered holes. I have seen kits with copper crush washers for under the bolt head, and a nylon washer that replaces the cork. Seems like a better deal.

I put a thin coating of "the right stuff" over all of those seals. And only tighten the hollow bolt until it starts squishing out, and after it sets up I tighten it a little more

The gap between the adapter and the block where the cork gasket goes is not always the same.

I'm shocked by the idea that someone couldn't put 2 n 2 together and understand the cork would just smash squish right out if used under the hex head.
Oh well.
Saw a post yesterday asking what direction to turn a petcock ?

Ever think there's only two ways?

Righty tightie, leftie loosie.
Unless its the hot water handle on my kitchen sink....or 8 3/4 ring gear bolts..or driver side lugs...? Does that tri-bar gasket have scoring on the "spokes" in order to rip them out? Just a single stamping takes care of 2 gaskets....?

I need to replace the gaskets on my 66 273, and I have found several different configurations listed for the barracuda. The bolt head on mine looks bigger than the ones I see on this thread. Anyone know if the felpro part # p5249320 is correct for my car. It is not a commando. Any other gasket set I should consider?

Ordered the felpro set online, and took the adaptor off, cleaned and painted ready to go back on. I read to lubricate the upgraded copper gasket. What do you use, oil, a little grease?

IMAG0820.jpg

-
Back