Oil filter by pass

-

cudabob1965

Reaction score
My slant six is somehow by passing the oil filter. The engine has good oil pressure (50) it runs great but pressure lags a extra second when started. Checked oil filter and is empty. Looks like oil not running thru filter at all. Put a new filter on. Same result. Anyone ever had s similar problem?

Never heard that one. Does it still have the stand tube in it? That valve must be stuck closed. I would unscrew it and knock the stand tube and valve out and screw the fitting back in.

Many oil filters have a bypass valve built into them. Replace your oil filter with a quality replacement.

Never heard that one
Nor I. Not sure what year Chrysler did away with the stand tube.A guess is mid 70's.Really not needed.I have shorten them like RRR stated.
What size filter are you using ?
You can try cranking the car with the coil wire removed along with the filter to see if any oil reaches the filter attachment .
The oil flows from the outside base thru the filter paper and returns thru the stand tube.

Chrysler didn't do away with the standpipe, but it was never provided on aftermarket pumps. The problem at hand sounds more like an issue with the oil pressure relief valve. Make sure it's doing its job, as described in these two threads: thread 1, thread 2.

-
Back