Oil filter magnets, pics

-

rustycowll69

Reaction score
I cut open my wix #57899, which was on my 09 Charger, today. If there was any doubt in your minds about whether those FilterMags work, check out the pics. The vertical stripes on the inside wall of the metal can are basically iron "dust". At the time, last year, and a couple of thousand miles ago, I couldn't get real FilterMags because of supply chain problems, so I just bought a bunch of neodymium magnets off Amazon, and slapped them on temporarily, when I changed the oil & filter, just after I drove it home from the auction.
20220121_171227.jpg
20220121_171202.jpg

Smart idea. Small rare earth magnets are cheap and available from my favorite Chineseum store, Harbor Freight. I use them for many applications, from oil filters, to Car **** calendars on the garage 'fridge.

Do you think it's possible that the magnets were holding the debris against the housing of the filter that otherwise would've been trapped by the filter media? And the only reason you can see this debris is because the magnets kept it out of the media?

Do you think it's possible that the magnets were holding the debris against the housing of the filter that otherwise would've been trapped by the filter media? And the only reason you can see this debris is because the magnets kept it out of the media?
Yes, pretty much. Is that a bad thing to trap the particles and keep them from plugging up the filter media, or worse some getting past the media and being circulated thru oil pump gears, soft bearings, and needle bearinged hydraulic roller lifters, etc?

Not trying to start an argument, I just didn't realize that was the purpose of the magnet. I thought maybe the thought behind the magnet was that it trapped more debris than the filter itself.

Count the marks inside the can and count the pleats of the filter. I bet you will find the same number. A magnet stuck on the bottom of the can would attract ferrous metal (steel and iron only) to the bottom of the can.

My understanding was the magnets hold the smaller micron particles that the filter can't trap and that's a good thing.

Count the marks inside the can and count the pleats of the filter. I bet you will find the same number. A magnet stuck on the bottom of the can would attract ferrous metal (steel and iron only) to the bottom of the can.
Totally wrong assumption. The lines of ferrous dust does NOT correspond to the pleats at all. You're 100% wrong on that count.
I don't care where you put the magnet(s), and I don't care if they are catching ferrous particles which may(or may not) be caught by the filter element. They are obviously doing something that I can visually confirm.

Last edited:
put them on the bottom of your oil pan and catch them particles before they even make it to the pump! Magnets are good anywhere except inline with the fuel line as that been proven to be a bust.

-
Back