Oil filter relocation kit

-

Aj408

Reaction score
Im in the middle of getting ready to put everything put together and get the motor in the car. But i wanted to know what the rest of you have done. I have a truck 5.7 stock k frame 72 demon and cant see how the oil filter relocator will go into place. It seems that the mount on the passenger side is in the way. Is there a special filter kit that everyone is using or do i need to do some grinding. Thanks in advance to you all, Aj.

This has some photos of the 45 deg adapter and how it sits with a short filter, a larger one needs a notch cut out of ther K-member from what I understand. I wanna say they used these on durangos, but you can buy em aftermarket too...

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/ccrp_0905_hemi_engine_swap_guide/index.html

TTI also sells a block off plate, from what I understand the engines have plugs directly above the stock location that you can run a remote filter with custom lines... I dont know of a kit for the remote stuff, but I am sure Summit has a generic one...

I dont have a HEMI to know first hand, but that is that I have read, hope it helps.

JOE

This has some photos of the 45 deg adapter and how it sits with a short filter, a larger one needs a notch cut out of ther K-member from what I understand. I wanna say they used these on durangos, but you can buy em aftermarket too...

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/ccrp_0905_hemi_engine_swap_guide/index.html

TTI also sells a block off plate, from what I understand the engines have plugs directly above the stock location that you can run a remote filter with custom lines... I dont know of a kit for the remote stuff, but I am sure Summit has a generic one...

I dont have a HEMI to know first hand, but that is that I have read, hope it helps.

JOE

Thanks Joe you solved the problem. Im getting the block off plate.

You may not want to go to the trouble, but with some grinding on the mount and work on the K-frame you can make things fit without using a remote filter. I copied this idea from someone else. I can't remember who it was now. The mounts are TTI and the K-frame is from a 72 Demon.

DSC03394.JPG

DSC03395.JPG

I used the 45 Deg adaptor on mine. Notched the K-Frame and trimmed the motor mount.

P7160193.jpg

Duane pics5-22-07 (21).jpg

Duane pics5-22-07 (20).jpg

Thanks guys for all the photos and great advise. I honestly was worried about grinding too much on the mount. I didnt want to compromise the integrety.

Anyone have anything to say regarding a remote oil filter setup? I was looking through Summit for kits and they vary widely in price (like $40 up to $300+). What have people run for remote kits so far? Are there any part numbers out there you would recommend? Would something like this http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TRD-1150/ work? I know it's not Dodge specific and it's designed to screw on where a filter would normally go, but could I just not use that part since the new hemi is pre-drilled for external hoses?

Anyone have anything to say regarding a remote oil filter setup? I was looking through Summit for kits and they vary widely in price (like $40 up to $300+). What have people run for remote kits so far? Are there any part numbers out there you would recommend? Would something like this http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TRD-1150/ work? I know it's not Dodge specific and it's designed to screw on where a filter would normally go, but could I just not use that part since the new hemi is pre-drilled for external hoses?

I have been siting on one of those kits for a few years, it is exactly how I was gonna do mine...

JOE

Have you checked the kit out on an engine to see if all the fittings and stuff work out? I didn't know if the kits came with different threads on the hoses for the different brands or if it was just the oil filter screw on part that might be different. Really all you would need would be some AN lines and the remote mount piece that actually holds the filter. Summit has one kit that looks like it's just that, but it's $125 and the others with the screw on adapter for the hoses are around $50, so I figured why not the cheaper kit. Are the threads in the hemi block a regular AN size?

I haven't even dug it out. I was thinking the same thing about only using the half I need... I would assume the connectors are basic NPT... I assume the block is also, but have not checked. I was gonna make some AN lines for mine once the motor goes in. Hopefully that will be soon.

Joe

Yes it is screwed in. Took me about 45 minutes to get that damn thing outta there.

Does it matter which way you hook the hoses up for a remote kit? Which hose coming out of the block is the feed and which is the return or does it really matter? I assume the center post of the oil filter would be where the feed line goes, but didn't know if that mattered either.

Yes it matters... Oil filters have a diaphram that acts as a 1 way valve. Making the connection backwards could result in no oil pressure. Dont hold me to this, but if I recall correctly, the center hole on the oil filter is the 'input' and the holes on the outer perimeter are the filtered 'output'. Do some research. I want to say I read a thread about remote oilfilters here on FABO...

Yes it matters... Oil filters have a diaphram that acts as a 1 way valve. Making the connection backwards could result in no oil pressure. Dont hold me to this, but if I recall correctly, the center hole on the oil filter is the 'input' and the holes on the outer perimeter are the filtered 'output'. Do some research. I want to say I read a thread about remote oilfilters here on FABO...

that's correct. The center hole is the inlet. If you follow the hoses on below TTI picture you can see the the upper connection is the outlet and the bottom one is the return.

Attachments

• 0200-FBP2.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 2,210
Thanks! Figured it probably mattered, but I haven't seen many people actually running the relocation kit, most seem to do the K frame mod with the angle adapter. That's a handy picture to have. I also feel like the only one planning to run spool mounts on a hemi. I always heard how they were the stronger mount and bought a new 73+ K frame for them, but haven't seen anyone with pictures using them on the new hemis. Any particular fitment issues or just no one with a camera that uses them?

I am running the spool mounts and have pics up on one of david flowers threads. They dropped right in place and seem to be solid. But we shall see once I have had it up and running for a race season or 2

I also have a 1973 duster with spool mount on "1973 duster" there are some pictures. The only issue I am currently having is figuring out how to use the A/C compressor that I got. I am trying to use the stock 6.1 A/C compressor and it is way to long.

Mine has a passenger timing set-up with the A/C in the lower left side. The issue I am having is that the Compressor is hitting the motor mount. If anyone knows of a smaller a/c unit that will work, let me know.

I think GDemon did something with his compressor/mounts related to clearance. Don't remember everything, but I think it involved a little homemade aluminum bracket and maybe some trimming. May have been a 5.7 compressor though.

what hits the mount? The back of the compressor? Got some pics of the problem? If it's just one of the mounting holes just make a spacer to move it out the 1/8th of a inch and bolt it in. I can't remember if the drivers side has 3 mounting bolts for the motor mount orif it's the passanger side. If its the drivers side one of the motor mount bolts is actually bolted to the block here the ac mounts.

I'm not exactly 100% sure how this works, but would it be possible to use a screw on adapter like in this relocation kit http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-G4985-1/?rtype=10 that just screws on where the stock filter goes and has lines to a remote mount instead of using a block off plate? I don't have a full setup sitting in front of me to check all the angles and clearances, but it looks like if you could clock the adapter that screws on where the stock filter goes you might be able to clear the mount. Just trying to figure out the most affordable way around this since $70 for a flat piece of steel with some o-rings on it is a little hard to swallow.

-
Back