Oil filter

-

Dan the man

Reaction score
What's the best oil filter these days? Back in the day all my dad would use was fram products.

I use these

0271EF0F-C1D6-4035-8E2B-4B80920E8F20.jpeg

The old car has a Wix filter
I use OE Mopar filter on the Ram
Anything else I usually use a Purolator mostly

Wix and Purolator have been bought out by Hummel-Mann and are now "global." They're now a crapshoot. Maybe good, maybe not.
Champion, Baldwin, Donaldson and OEM Mopar are good bets. Mid grade and above Fram are fine. I'm working on a case of 20 year old Purolator made, Quaker State branded that should last me until 2030 or so.

only filter i have had fail in the last 20 plus years was a Wix.
leaked out the crimp seam.
In it's defense it came off Amazon, so I wondered if it was counterfeit??

Wix or NAPA gold for me. A occasional Mopar brand on my vehicles. The wife's Envision goes to the dealer so it get's a Delco.

My buddy ( was my "best man" at my wedding) swore by Hastings, bought them by the case.
One time he put one on his dad's van w/a 318 in a routine oil change and started it up having no oil pressure. His dad had it towed somewhere, they did another oil change w/a different filter and oil pressure back to normal. He threw away about 3/4 of a case, and I think went Baldwin from then on.
His dad continued to drive that same van for like another 10 years. Then sold it, still running fine.

I used to get Baldwin when there was a place around here to get them but boy they weren't cheap. Case of 12 (10 years ago) was like $75.
I've used em all, Purolator, fram, Hastings Baldwin, motorcraft, AC, even sears spectrum, and K mart back in the day/ and I've never had a filter issue. For the past 6-7 years I have been buying the napa gold, 2x a year the napa I deal with thru work has a filter sale where the gold's are cheaper than the cheaper version for a few days, I buy a case of them then. Before that I used a whole bunch of Purolator. And the Baldwin's.
Haven't run fram in probably 15+ years, just out of the convenience of the sale at Napa. And can't find sears or Kmart anymore if I wanted to except I might find one here+there at a garage sale or some such...

Wix and Motorcraft exclusively. Yes I use ford filters on Mopars. I always ran K&N on my Motorcycles, mostly for the nut at the top that helps removal.

-
Back