Oil leak 340

-

73Dart340Sport

73dart340
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have a question for the highly knowledgeable FABO folks.

After installing a PCV valve on my car most of the oil leaks disappeared. However when I replaced the power steering gear with a manual gear the car sat with the front jacked up for a month. I also used a floor jack and 2x4 to raise the engine to get the gear out. About 2 weeks after finishing that project I discovered oil leaking out from under the car. I torqued the oil pan gasket down per recommendation to about 80 inch pounds per screw. Oil leak has gotten worse. Still a drip but constant.

based on this picture here is the source of the drip with what appears to be the drip stream..
0535A1BF-6D38-4D27-93A4-E74FD21230F1.jpeg

I’m not seeing oil here...

783DFF67-FDC3-4A56-A1CE-6CA6783CA441.jpeg
034A0769-5057-4389-A351-88AD3498DE0C.jpeg

The lower bell housing inspection cover has what appears to be oil entering the left side however the cover seems to be oil free other than this.

75CDE6B8-FD76-4469-818D-0463740192C4.jpeg
B2E02CB7-BAFE-409A-A1E1-352122E10B29.jpeg

Per the service manual I torqued the oil pan bolts to about 10 ft pounds which is midway to the service manual recommended 200inch pounds or 16.7 foot pounds.

At this point I would like to avoid trying to replace either the oil pan gasket or while in the car. Does anyone have any ideas. The leak is a drip right now but my guess is going to be worse.

97D75F72-351B-4859-86AB-8861064E7DC0.jpeg

Could be coming from the valve covers or oil sending unit and running down the back of the block. Just a thought! 65'

Seems to me if after you torqued the pan gasket the leak got worse it may be the pan gasket after all. Did you use the 2x4 under
the oil pan?

Could be coming from the valve covers or oil sending unit and running down the back of the block. Just a thought! 65'
Hopefully I am wrong but it looks like a case of "Jack Attack"..... lol
Sadily it could be. I used a chunk of wood between the oil pan and the jack, but it might have been an expensive mistake

Crap! I did not see that. Yea. . I’m going to look again today.
I got extra oil pans. Let me know if you need 1. Just pay shipping. I'd donate a pan. Hopefully you don't have to pull motor and leak is fixable without yanking motor. Wishing you the best-

Would anyone know if there is a way to temporarily patch it? If the leak stops with a patch then I know that is the problem and a new pan is in order! Otherwise I’m still looking.

I got extra oil pans. Let me know if you need 1. Just pay shipping. I'd donate a pan. Hopefully you don't have to pull motor and leak is fixable without yanking motor. Wishing you the best-

Thanks for your generous offer. I’m hoping I can replace it with the engine still in. I’ll keep ya posted. I may just buy one from you.

Crap! I did not see that. Yea. . I’m going to look again today.
Would anyone know if there is a way to temporarily patch it? If the leak stops with a patch then I know that is the problem and a new pan is in order! Otherwise I’m still looking.
I'm guessing that the moment you wipe it off it'll reappear there.

if that is a hole/tear in the pan (and it sure looks like it) there is only one way to do it right ~ bad luck for sure but don't make it worse by cob-jobbing it

if that is a hole/tear in the pan (and it sure looks like it) there is only one way to do it right ~ bad luck for sure but don't make it worse by cob-jobbing it

Ultimately if a temporary patch stopped the leak a new pan is in order. who makes good stock A body pans. Non Chinese construction?

Quickly wipe the oil off and rub a bar of soap on it, (not lava). Or light a candle get some wax going and jab it in the crack....that's temporary .

If is excessable take it to a good muffler shop and they can just weld the pan still on the car. Just have to change the oil when they are done.

-
Back