oil pan gasket

-

jeffs67dart

Reaction score
Can I use a four piece oil pan gasket on a magnum block with a LA timing cover and a LA pan (7 quart milodon)? I know I can cut the one piece pan gasket at the timing cover and use the LA front cover seal with sealant and it will work, but can I use the LA set with sealant. I found out the hard way you can't use the one magnum gasket with the LA timing cover.

Last edited:
I didn't think you could use the one piece magnum gasket at all when using the LA oil pan on the Magnum. I used the LA gasket with the magnum timing cover. I don't see why you couldn't use the LA gasket with the LA timing cover on the magnum.

the pan gasket needs to match the pan....LA pan LA gasket...and so on....otherwise it will leak...

Well, I guess I have been doing it all wrong....must have missed the leak on the last 4-5 cars we did. We used a magnum gasket with an LA 360 pan, both stock and Kevko . I will have to send out recall notices to our customers.

Can I use a four piece oil pan gasket on a magnum block with a LA timing cover and a LA pan (7 quart milodon)? I know I can cut the one piece pan gasket at the timing cover and use the LA front cover seal with sealant and it will work, but can I use the LA set with sealant. I found out the hard way you can't use the one magnum gasket with the LA timing cover.

I made the same mistake with my Magnum and LA oil pan. The flaps of the one-piece gasket hide the gaps left by the notches in the front on the pan for the timing cover. It leaked bad, especially when under heavy throttle. Took me a while to find it too. Here's some pictures of the issue.

I used a Cometic gasket set and really liked the quality.

Oil Pan pic (Medium).JPG

Oil Pan Gaskets (Medium).JPG

Old oil pan gasket.JPG

you put a small spot of grey silicon in the pockets on the pan when using a Magnum gasket which is the same as the Milodon/Jegs one piece gasket for 360LA

That or take a hammer and dolly and knock those corners out to where they're flush with the rest of the pan... Then just add some silicone in that area for extra protection. My motor isn't in my car set so we'll have to wait n see if I have any leaks there or not

i used to cut those corner sections (that part with the nipples) from the LA gasket, placed them where they normlly belong and trimmed them to be flush with the pan arch - a litte dip of rtv and put the one piece magnum gasket over it... voila: no leaking

This is pretty easy way to do it, never had a leak. After install, I wipe off excess sealer. Left it on here for demo so you can see it squirting out of hole that would hold old style gasket. In second pic, you can see dab of sealer in corner. I also put a slight smear at each corner of "hump" in gasket

gasket1.jpg

gasket2.jpg

gasket3.jpg

Resurrecting an old thread, but I think this is a great place to keep this information in one spot.

I'm undergoing this issue right now. I am using a Magnum Block, M302 Kevko Pan, and a LA Timing cover.

There seems to be 3 methods that I've been reading about:

1) Method One (Scram-Speed/Magnum Swap Method): Use the one-piece Magnum oil pan gasket, and cut off the front "U-shape" section. Use the LA U-shape gasket which has the "notches" that conform to the oil pan. This is the method that I started to embark on, being that it should be the "cleanest" method with only 2 seams being created, all visible, no glue involved. It would be nice if people can post pictures of how much you cut, where you put RTV to assure no leaks, etc. Pictures welcome!

2) Method Two: MagnumMopar's method, which is to use the Magnum Oil Pan Gasket, but to put two heavy globs of RTV where the front "notches" are.

3) Method Three: Cut out the wedges from the LA "U-shape" gasket, just enough to fill up the notches, glue/attach to pan, then use the one-piece magnum gasket.

Curious as of 2020, what is the preferred method? It seems to me that Scram Speed/Magnum Swap is the official "posted" method and it's the one that makes the most sense to me as you are not relying on heavy dosage of either glue or RTV, but I haven't seen detailed pictures/instructions. It seems like you have to cut really darn close to the bolt holes on the one-piece to assure no overlap. I've already cut off the front section (in a very conservative manner) and it seems like the next step is to cut more. So I thought i'd take a pause.

Resurrecting an old thread, but I think this is a great place to keep this information in one spot.

I'm undergoing this issue right now. I am using a Magnum Block, M302 Kevko Pan, and a LA Timing cover.

There seems to be 3 methods that I've been reading about:

1) Method One (Scram-Speed/Magnum Swap Method): Use the one-piece Magnum oil pan gasket, and cut off the front "U-shape" section. Use the LA U-shape gasket which has the "notches" that conform to the oil pan. This is the method that I started to embark on, being that it should be the "cleanest" method with only 2 seams being created, all visible, no glue involved. It would be nice if people can post pictures of how much you cut, where you put RTV to assure no leaks, etc. Pictures welcome!

2) Method Two: MagnumMopar's method, which is to use the Magnum Oil Pan Gasket, but to put two heavy globs of RTV where the front "notches" are.

3) Method Three: Cut out the wedges from the LA "U-shape" gasket, just enough to fill up the notches, glue/attach to pan, then use the one-piece magnum gasket.

Curious as of 2020, what is the preferred method? It seems to me that Scram Speed/Magnum Swap is the official "posted" method and it's the one that makes the most sense to me as you are not relying on heavy dosage of either glue or RTV, but I haven't seen detailed pictures/instructions. It seems like you have to cut really darn close to the bolt holes on the one-piece to assure no overlap. I've already cut off the front section (in a very conservative manner) and it seems like the next step is to cut more. So I thought i'd take a pause.
I prefer to use none of those methods. What I did was take a hammer and knock the “indented” part of the oil pan out flush, like a magnum pan, then used the one piece oil pan gasket. I did add a little rtv between the pan and the gasket in those corners just for added security. Been together 3 years and probably 10k miles and haven’t had a problem

I'm curious why the notch exists in the first place? Is there a functional reason for it, or just a design change from LA -> Magnum Block?

-
Back