Oil pan

-

circlepilot

Reaction score
Maybe my search engines are out of gas tonight...Doesn't someone make an after market oil pan for the slant six? 1965 Barracuda.
Norm

Maybe my search engines are out of gas tonight...Doesn't someone make an after market oil pan for the slant six? 1965 Barracuda.
Norm

Nope. Not that I'm aware of.

Are you looking for a stock pan or something custom? I'm sure someone here has a pan that will work for your chassis.

custom to what?
someone posted a pretty cool aluminum slantie pan a while ago, think it was from a marine application

Yep! Already crossed my mind. I'm concerned about the the one I have now...quite a bit of heavy pitting on its bottom.

I have a pile of pans. I think I only had the one extra early A body pan I am fixin to use, but I'll double check.

Yep! Already crossed my mind. I'm concerned about the the one I have now...quite a bit of heavy pitting on its bottom.

Not tryin to turn this into a for sale or wanted thread anymore than it already is, but here's what I found. The one on the left is the "wrong pan" I cleaned up and bolted on last night. I don't know what it fits. The one on the right is the "KNOWN" early A body pan. Notice how the sump starts farther back than the one on the left, to allow clearance for the K member. Now we come to the one I dug out of the pile in the center. It's another "I don't know what it fits". However, like the known early A body pan, the sump starts farther back. The sump is also a little shorter in the rear than the early A body pan. I believe it will fit though. Again, I am not treating this thread as trying to sell something, I want more opinions as to whether yall think it will fit the early A chassis, like the pan on the right. I think it will, but I don't know for sure.

OIL PANS.jpg

I have one concern about the pan in the center. If you look at that upper right corner, it's different. It's more a 90 degree, than the sloping corner on the pan on the right. That's the only part of it that makes me wonder.

You'd think there wouldn't be SO many pans for the slant six. Dutra left one out....at least. Chrysler made a front sump pan for them, too. I've seen one. It was in a small size motor home. Yeah. A slant in a motor home. So that means there are at least seven different pans for the slant six. Doug says in that link John posted that the small sump 369 pan that I have in the center up there ^^^ does drop into the early cars, but the center link rubs on the section behind the sump. Even though mine is not stamped 369, it's obvious that's what it is. I wish I had an extra early A body pan, but I do not. I do have another one, but it's on the 170 I just pulled out of Vixen and I'm keeping it.

Not tryin to turn this into a for sale or wanted thread anymore than it already is, but here's what I found. The one on the left is the "wrong pan" I cleaned up and bolted on last night. I don't know what it fits. The one on the right is the "KNOWN" early A body pan. Notice how the sump starts farther back than the one on the left, to allow clearance for the K member. Now we come to the one I dug out of the pile in the center. It's another "I don't know what it fits". However, like the known early A body pan, the sump starts farther back. The sump is also a little shorter in the rear than the early A body pan. I believe it will fit though. Again, I am not treating this thread as trying to sell something, I want more opinions as to whether yall think it will fit the early A chassis, like the pan on the right. I think it will, but I don't know for sure.

View attachment 1715720768
The one on the left sure looks like the one on my engine. I just saw this post. Let me look at mine tomorrow and see if there is a difference. Is there any "pitting rust" on that one?
Norm

The one on the left sure looks like the one on my engine. I just saw this post. Let me look at mine tomorrow and see if there is a difference. Is there any "pitting rust" on that one?
Norm

Nope. It's real clean. It does not fit my 64 Valiant, though. Pissed Kitty off, too. LOL

View attachment 1715720768
I'm wrong about the pan on the left, I just had to go down stairs and look. It seems to be closer to the one on the right.
oil pan.jpg
oil pan1.jpg

Yeah that's the same pan as the one in the right in my picture. I tell you man, I'd clean that up and use it. It's gonna be tough to find another one.
I treated it with OSPHO and it doesn't look as bad as I thought. It does have a dent that I'll be removing with my press. After that I'll have a closer look to make sure that removing the dent didn't make matters worse. Worse case scenario (and I've given it some thought) is to remove (cut) the pitted bottom out and add about two more inches to the pan. The pick up tube would have to be modified also. The pitting is only on the bottom of the pan.

I treated it with OSPHO and it doesn't look as bad as I thought. It does have a dent that I'll be removing with my press. After that I'll have a closer look to make sure that removing the dent didn't make matters worse. Worse case scenario (and I've given it some thought) is to remove (cut) the pitted bottom out and add about two more inches to the pan. The pick up tube would have to be modified also. The pitting is only on the bottom of the pan.

But what would be the point? Since it's a terrible idea to use an HV oil pump on a slant six, there really is no need for extra capacity.

The best oil pump for a slant is an original mopar stock pump pull the cover and clean it and check the clearances on it and clean and reinstall the relief valve inspect the drive gear if no problems then reseal it packed with Vaseline or engine assembly lube use new gaskets and your good to go. The original gears for the pump drive are better than the new manufacture ones. The oil pumps in most cars and trucks are the most over replaced items. Most are not worn out and still within spec's

but, with the positioning of "most" oil pumps within a given engine, and the high likelihood of major carnage and "FAST" when an oil pump goes to He11, and with what is involved in replacing the oil pump on "most vehicles" doing so on a rebuild, is "cheap insurance". We get used to replacing the pump on other makes and models of engines so just a force of habit to do so......

and the extra capacity never hurt, oil is relatively cheap, more oil = cooler oil, and more oil to carry contaminants to the filter/ as long as the pickup matches and still pulls off the bottom, it definitely won't hurt a thing. the worst that can happen there would be a "too deep" pan that scrapes the ground (think like how headers do) or a porous weld that leaks.....

I have a couple of slant six oil pans, with a "deep" sump. Cut the bottom off the stock sump, and welded in a 2 inch wide piece of sheet stock, to drop the sump. Also dropped the pickup the same amount. Added a couple of baffles to help control "sloosh". Remarked the dipstick, and still run 5 qts (with filter). Just helps to control the oil better. The front and rear sections of the stock car oil pan, are very close to the crank. This helps to keep the oil in the sump on accel, and braking.

-
Back