Oil pressure warning light sensor

-

hotrod swinger

Reaction score
1973 Dart Swinger

Is this the correct sender for my oil warning light? Borg Warner S310.

Is there a way to test it before installing it?

12D4C252-50F6-46E8-8859-8050AB23FCAA.jpeg

1973 Dart Swinger

Is this the correct sender for my oil warning light? Borg Warner S310.

Is there a way to test it before installing it?

View attachment 1715853972
Looks to be the correct sender.
To test, use an ohmmeter or continuity light; at rest there should be continuity between the terminal and the body/threads of the sender.
Since the threads are 1/8 pipe threads, adapt it to an air chuck and hook it up to your compressor and put about 40/50 pounds of air on it- it should no longer have continuity when tested as before.
When you install it, resist the temptation to use additional teflon tape or pipe dope/sealer on the threads- it's not necessary and may cause the sender to not ground properly. Check for continuity from body of the sender to the engine block to ensure proper operation.

to an air chuck and hook it up to your compressor and put about 40/50 pounds of air on it- it should no longer have continuity when tested as before
You can also verify the trip point by lowering the pressure till it changes, should be around 8-10 psi IIRC

I installed it and the light illuminates when I turn the key to run and it turns off when the engine is running.

I guess the only thing I don’t know is at what oil pressure the light will illuminate. I take it there is really no way to test that except on a bench, correct?

-
Back