Oil pump binds or is it made to be that way

-

Vali68

Reaction score
I have a question about the oil pump on a slant 6. With it off the motor and I am turning the shaft by turning the gear, should the turn stop at any time or should i be able to turn it freely and keep turning it? The one I have goes around almost all the way but then binds and stops. So apply more pressure and it turns more. Does that mean the shaft is bent?

"pull the top off "

it should trun freely,, it may have debris in the rotor,,

the center g rotor section and shaft won't come out unless you pull the gear, but the outer g rotor section will come out,, pay attention as it will need to go back in with the same face facing outward,,

Get an old shop manual and check all clearances on your oil pump with feeler gauges. Clean it thoroughly, if it is out of spec or not smooth when cleaned and oiled. get a new one

Get an old shop manual and check all clearances on your oil pump with feeler gauges. Clean it thoroughly, if it is out of spec or not smooth when cleaned and oiled. get a new one

i would not run a new pump as the gears are not hard enough.

I think a stock replacement oil pump would work fine. What other option is there if his is pooched? Its either replace or don't run an oil pump.

I think a stock replacement oil pump would work fine. What other option is there if his is pooched? Its either replace or don't run an oil pump.

Frank and Doug Dutra both do a rebuilt/blueprinted pump with hardend gear.

-
Back