oil pump driveshaft

-

68 A

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
i was doing a few things in the garage tonight, and i tried to test fit my oil pump drive shaft. It did not fit correctly. Where the shaft fits into the bushing, it was very tight where it started, i pushed down on it a bit, but it didn't go very far. It also took some force to get it back out. Read in my engine rebuild book about replacing the bushing and how it should be stretched out the the correct size after the installation.

Does anyone have any ideas? should i get a new bushing, or try to get a tool to make it the right size?

Thanks

If it has any oil buildup on it, it will be hard to install, clean and try to reinstall it. If the bushing is aluminum replace it with a brass one, as they wont shrink when installed.

You should use the Miller instalation tool. It drives in the bushing and burnishes it to the correct size at the same time. I can't remember what the tool number is. Someone will be able to tell you Im sure. Or you could chuck the pump shaft iin a drill motor and hold some emery cloth in your hand and polish it to size. Good luck!

The miller tool is #C-3053. Miller's phone is 1-800-801-5420. But be ready: The tool is $80.00 before shipping. I plan to buy one before my next small block rebuild. I think it is good to use the tool to do it right.

I tend to be "budget minded"...lol. I bought a brand new stoc one, and cot off the gear teeth. It is my installation tool. If you simply drive int eh bushing, it will deform. Using the new shaft as the installer leaves it the right size. I havent had any issues with replacement shafts fitting doing it that way. I had some issues before. The right way is the burnishing tool.

I usually do the same as Moper only difference is I use a complete shaft with the gear still attatched (only if the cams is out though) put some thick grease on the shaft just under the head of the drive gear slip the bush onto the shaft and use the drive as a guide and drive the bush into the block.
The drive makes sure the bush goes in straight and doesn't **** over and go egg shaped which is the cause of most of the problems.

ok, i think i'll try cleaning the shaft up first, see if that solves the problem. If not, then i'll try another bushing.

Thanks

cleaned the pump shaft up and it fits now. Guess next time i should try that stuff before making a post about it.

Thanks

-
Back