Oil temp sending location?

-

Cope

Fusing with fire
Reaction score
76, LA 360 block.

Wondering where I can tap into for oil temp?

Back by the dizy is my PSI sending unit. I'm wondering if any one pulls a gally plug and goes off the block? Or where you put yours?
I do not want to T off.

Yeah but I was hoping to not have to pull the pan.

The trans is coming out next week for a full rebuild so maybe it's time to just pull everything, check the mains and do it all.
:drama:
:(

Got a race coming up so dammit I guess it's that time.... realy didn't want to pull the motor tho...

I thought I saw a sender that acts as the pan drain plug. You want it in an area that is seeing flow. Not a dead end.

I think I seen the same thing once. IDK if it is still made. Worth a check and poke around. Otherwise, the “T” option isn’t so bad. The oil is constantly moving past it. The sender will do its job.

Well, you GOTTA do somethin. You don't wanna pull the pan. You don't wanna tee off the sender. It's not gonna magically just go POOF and install itself. There's GONNA be a little work involved here. I would tee right off the sender. no reason not to.

The pan is where it needs to go, oil circulation is needed for a proper temp reading.

Not sure if your remote oil filtered but I have this coming you can put the sensor in this. I'll have both temp and psi off of this,psi will he off a an fitting line this fitting off the brass one above the water pump.

ear-2077erl_zi.jpg

20190111_135826.jpg

Well, you GOTTA do somethin. You don't wanna pull the pan. You don't wanna tee off the sender. It's not gonna magically just go POOF and install itself. There's GONNA be a little work involved here. I would tee right off the sender. no reason not to.

God dammit I want poof!

But yeah, pull the engine. Call bung king, order the bung and weld the pan...

If building a race car was easy they would sell the parts at Oriley and everyone would do it....

:elmer:

And ya know Rusty, the more I learn about you the less I wanna stab you.

If you ever make it my way I'd be glad to buy you a cold drink of your choice.

God dammit I want poof!

But yeah, pull the engine. Call bung king, order the bung and weld the pan...

If building a race car was easy they would sell the parts at Oriley and everyone would do it....

:elmer:

And ya know Rusty, the more I learn about you the less I wanna stab you.

If you ever make it my way I'd be glad to buy you a cold drink of your choice.

LOL. If I ever do, you will be the second to know.

The instructions will say the sender goes in the return section. In our case, the pan. Not to criticize but what is the point of reading oil temp? I’d send the temp gauge back and buy an oil cooler and some synthetic oil and never worry about the temp.

Honestly I dont care about oil temp. I'm moving water temp and oil pressure up onto the roll cage I just need 2 new gauges to fill the holes in my dash.

I chose oil temp and trans temp to fill the 2 holes.

Are you saying you just drilled and taped the pan? No weld in bung?
Dosen't seem like enough meat there for threads?

I was 16 at the time and went by the shop to see the progress. The mechanic had the pan off and was scraping off the gasket. I don't know how he installed the sensor in the pan exactly. Sorry.

Went thru this last year and just welded a bung in the pan. Even called Auto-Meter for a pan plug with a provision for inserting the sender. They said no one makes one. Seems to me that they would have one made but what do I know.

There’s not enough metal to tap the pan, unless you’re tapping the drain plug larger to accept the sensor. Otherwise, you’d have to use a bulkhead fitting, which you’d have to take the pan off. But sense you’re just using this as a dummy gauge, I’d throw the sensor off the easiest location possible.

-
Back