Oil viscosity and brand change?..

-

j par

Well-hung Member
Reaction score
So in the 410 stroker in the duster I've always used pen grade 15-40 as recommended by the machine shop..
I still have the break-in oil in my 408 stroker in my truck... Both are needing oil changes.. 8 quart and one 6 quarts in the other... Both have solid flat tap it lifters..
Both driven in the summer and kept in the garage... For the most part I no longer drag race the Duster and have put a lot less hotter cam in it yet still has pretty high compression. The truck 408 again is a dish piston pump gas rig for sure..
I'm currently paying at least $10 a quart for oil and I'm looking at the VR1 20-50..
I can get 15 quarts sent to my door for 70 bucks.. said to be the highest zinc oil there is on the market.. (according to the internet....:rolleyes:)
I know I know I'm saving $80 per oil change and it's my cheap insurance but really is it? Am I going to wear out the engine or blow it up or do something like that because I switched? I don't live paranoid and I don't like to think I do super stupid stuff either...
opinions and suggestions welcome..
After all isn't that what the form is for? LOL..

Box store brand or whatever’s on sale. The less nonsense printed on the labels the better. Change when dirty. :popcorn:

It's not so much the cylinder pressure that requires the anti-wear additive, but valve spring pressure. If you are not getting excessive oil pressure with a xxW-50 oil, the Valvoline will do well for you.
It has 1200-1300 ppm of ZDDP, which is just right. More is not needed in a street engine, can be corrosive, and should be avoided if it will be left in the engine for extended periods. Mobil1 15W-50 has the same amount of ZDDP, is priced about the same, and probably even more widely available than the Valvoline. Both good choices.
The Brad Penn/Penn Grade has, by the latest info I can find, 1400-1500 ppm ZDDP. That can cause pitting and spalling on internal parts.

Last edited:
Lucas Hot Rod oil?They have other weights, I get it in 6gal containers

20220403_172341.jpg

Lucas Hot Rod oil?They have other weights, I get it in 6gal containers

View attachment 1715900802
Sorry, but I think that stuff is awful. It has twice the amount of ZDDP that is useful, which is too much by far. It is only made from a Group II base stock. With that much anti-wear additive, it's really only good for racing, but there are so many racing oils that are better. At almost six dollars a quart in the six gallon box, it's expensive. I do like those second generation boxes, though.
Lucas has a couple products that really shouldn't be on the market. The hot rod oil is one. Another is the oil stabilizer. That's real garbage. They may make some good products, but because of those two, I don't trust any of them.

-
Back