Oiling issue...need help!

-

440seven

Reaction score
so I got my 440 on the stand and priming it last night. I've got oil coming out below the #2 and #4 cylinder on the cam but nothing coming out at heads. It's not even making it to the bulkhead on the back where OP sender is. What gives? I understand to rotate so cam can line up but I really figured I'd at least get oil all the way to the backside.

So you don't have oil pressure at the gauge in the rear?

so I got my 440 on the stand and priming it last night. I've got oil coming out below the #2 and #4 cylinder on the cam but nothing coming out at heads. It's not even making it to the bulkhead on the back where OP sender is. What gives? I understand to rotate so cam can line up but I really figured I'd at least get oil all the way to the backside.

The oil flows through the holes in the cam to the heads when it is rotated to the correct position, as you eluded to. Some cams have a full groove on that #3 cam bearing to supply more oil to the top end.

Where and what is oil coming out of under the cylinders? Through the lifters? There could be an air pocket blocking the oil from getting to the back of the block. Have you tried removing the OP port feed and priming it?

Be aware that rotating a new motor over excessively can wipe off most of your cam lube prior to the initial firing and cam break-in sequence. If you leave the manifold off until your done priming the motor, you can reapply more lube.

The oil flows through the holes in the cam to the heads when it is rotated to the correct position, as you eluded to. Some cams have a full groove on that #3 cam bearing to supply more oil to the top end.

Where and what is oil coming out of under the cylinders? Through the lifters? There could be an air pocket blocking the oil from getting to the back of the block. Have you tried removing the OP port feed and priming it?

Be aware that rotating a new motor over excessively can wipe off most of your cam lube prior to the initial firing and cam break-in sequence. If you leave the manifold off until your done priming the motor, you can reapply more lube.
Manifold is off and yes oil is coming from lifters. I haven't tried pulling the sender. I'll try that. I also don't have the rocker shafts and lifters in yet either though didn't think that would make a difference.

Last edited:
Manifold is off and yes oil is coming from lifters. I haven't tried pulling the sender. I'll try that. I also don't have the rocker shafts and lifters in yet either though didn't think that would make a difference.

That's your problem. Without the lifters in, you have a massive oil leak there.

Did you plug the oil galley to restrict oil to the lifters?

It's #4 cam journal, and that's actually a Hemi cam because they have 4 rocker shafts but any big block can use it.

The lifters were out! LOL that is funny. The reason I ask about blocking the galley was, you can block the left galley from the rear so no oil pressure loss in the left lifters, but only if you are running mechanical lifters. my buddy blocked the right by mistake and had no oil pressure at the gauge.

The lifters were out! LOL that is funny. The reason I ask about blocking the galley was, you can block the left galley from the rear so no oil pressure loss in the left lifters, but only if you are running mechanical lifters. my buddy blocked the right by mistake and had no oil pressure at the gauge.
Yea stupid I know. We should probably delete this to prevent embarrassment. Everything is good. Got 60 OP at the guage now.

It's something about those late nights. The brain just doesn't seem to work quite right.

-
Back