Oiling issues

-

dartlove

Reaction score
I am in need of some knowledgeable advice. Once again I have been plagued with engine issues. This is a fairly new race engine. Never been raced. Only broke in and ran a few other times. I am having an issue with getting oil up to the passenger side rockers. All of the push rod tips at the rockers are dry and blue . Driver side is fine plenty of oil. I am at a loss. Any insight to what the hell might be going on would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

What engine?
What year?
What mods?

I have heard of something like that when the rocker shaft is not in correctly on SB

Cam bearings installed correctly.
1971 383 stroked to 496
Harland sharp rockers & shafts. Don't think these shafts can be installed incorrectly. Oil holes drilled on both sides. Internal pickup blocked off, external pickup wet sump.
Trick flow max wedge 270's heads

I would pull the right side rocker shaft, and get a thin rod down the oil passage, like a wire coat hanger, straightened carefully. Rotate the crank until the oil passage in the cam lines up. Then mark and pull the dist., and run the oil priming shaft.

Not sure how to do that with these trick flow heads
15938783586692774170464586508692.jpg
15938784275297243157744218480255.jpg
15938784275297243157744218480255.jpg

Can you pull the dist and shaft but mark or map the position of all and then get or make a pump priming shaft and turn it cc with a drill and you will or will not have oil. That will tell you quickly if you have oil at the head.

Can you pull the dist and shaft but mark or map the position of all and then get or make a pump priming shaft and turn it cc with a drill and you will or will not have oil. That will tell you quickly if you have oil at the head.
Yes, but don't I need the cam in the correct position?

I am in need of some knowledgeable advice. Once again I have been plagued with engine issues. This is a fairly new race engine. Never been raced. Only broke in and ran a few other times. I am having an issue with getting oil up to the passenger side rockers. All of the push rod tips at the rockers are dry and blue . Driver side is fine plenty of oil. I am at a loss. Any insight to what the hell might be going on would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance
Rocker shaft was installed 180 degrees out.
I believe that they only install in one position and can be applied wrong shutting off the oil to the rockers.
Check the markings on the ends of the shaft and compare them to the side that is functioning properly.

Rocker shaft was installed 180 degrees out.
I believe that they only install in one position and can be applied wrong shutting off the oil to the rockers.
Check the markings on the ends of the shaft and compare them to the side that is functioning properly.
Not possible. The shafts are like this both sides &ends.
15938924172709104500367717912322.jpg
15938924570284942997149400674154.jpg

It appears to me that the oil holes are in line with the rocker shaft hold down bolt holes. If this is a big block, the oil supply holes are/would be back at about the 7:00 PM position from vertical to the hold down bolt holes

It appears to me that the oil holes are in line with the rocker shaft hold down bolt holes. If this is a big block, the oil supply holes are/would be back at about the 7:00 PM position from vertical to the hold down bolt holes
It is a big block, so I will have to call Harland sharp monday. There may be a slim chance you are correct.

For some reason I had thought it was a SBM.
I believe you are correct for a BBM application.
Maybe some big block Guru's can chime in to verify.

Sorry all, I left out the fact standing from front of car that the pressurized oil feed holes are on the inner side of the rocker arm rests in the head. the left side cyl head the oil feed port will be approx will be at about 5 :00 o'clock position and the right side oil feed port will be approx at the 7:00 o'clock position. Sorry about the first post, my wife was nagging at me to hurry and get her to town. And it is clearly shown in the factory service manual. Good luck

On my HS shafts the oil holes are inline with the bolt holes. It won’t matter if their installed front to back or upside down Or right side up or side to side I assume they only make 1 shaft that will install any way. Kim

On my HS shafts the oil holes are inline with the bolt holes. It won’t matter if their installed front to back or upside down Or right side up or side to side I assume they only make 1 shaft that will install any way. Kim
Kim, the OP's shafts appears to be the same as yours, oil holes are lined up with bolt holes. The mystery depends

update to oiling problem. The pedestal side of oil hole on head was not completely drilled through. So no oil up top for that side. My fault for not verifying when priming. Primed up to lifters few squirts to rockers and time to break in. If the head was put on the other side we would have never found out that the head was not complete .

-
Back