Oiling Mods

-

Jax

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Ok Guys... don't shoot me at the first glance LOL...

I have been reading the post from Guitar Jones concerning the required oiling mods if considering taking the small block above 6000 rpm.

The first mods are clear to me. i.e. The drilling of the oil pump and intake / exhaust of the oil pump and filter.
When it gets to drilling and tapping for the oil gallery to the lifters it got confused to me. Even more when is mentioning that if you are running hydraulic lifters some mods are necessary and some not.

This is my current set up.

410 stoker LA with intention to rev up to 6500 rpm.
HV oil pump / larger intake strainer.
Cam will be solid flat cam grind number HUG STL4246AS-6 .610 lift
Solid lifters with hughes rocker arms.

So here goes my question....

Besides the oil mod to the pump / filter and main cap. which other mod should I perform to the block, knowing that I will be running solid lifters ?

Besides this... which will be the best oiling method for my rockers? Should I keep using the LA oiling system trough the block up via the head stud ?

Thanks.

Ok Guys... don't shoot me at the first glance LOL...

I have been reading the post from Guitar Jones concerning the required oiling mods if considering taking the small block above 6000 rpm.

The first mods are clear to me. i.e. The drilling of the oil pump and intake / exhaust of the oil pump and filter.
When it gets to drilling and tapping for the oil gallery to the lifters it got confused to me. Even more when is mentioning that if you are running hydraulic lifters some mods are necessary and some not.

This is my current set up.

410 stoker LA with intention to rev up to 6500 rpm.
HV oil pump / larger intake strainer.
Cam will be solid flat cam grind number HUG STL4246AS-6 .610 lift
Solid lifters with hughes rocker arms.

So here goes my question....

Besides the oil mod to the pump / filter and main cap. which other mod should I perform to the block, knowing that I will be running solid lifters ?

Besides this... which will be the best oiling method for my rockers? Should I keep using the LA oiling system trough the block up via the head stud ?

Thanks.

You need to tube the #2 side oil gallery just like the book says and then stop all oil the oil to the #1 gallery. There is no need to oil the lifters at all.

You can do all the work by hand if you are patient and carefull. You can buy the reamer and tubing from any good tool supplier (I use MSC) and then take an old lifter and round off the edge to peen the tube in the number 2 side.

IMO that is the second most important fix. The first is to get the biggest diameter suction side you can. Almost everything done to the pressure side is frosting on the cake. You need to do them, but there is more important things.

And do NOT put a cross over tube in the oil galleries. GARGANTUAN waste of time.

You need to tube the #2 side oil gallery just like the book says and then stop all oil the oil to the #1 gallery. There is no need to oil the lifters at all.

You can do all the work by hand if you are patient and carefull. You can buy the reamer and tubing from any good tool supplier (I use MSC) and then take an old lifter and round off the edge to peen the tube in the number 2 side.

IMO that is the second most important fix. The first is to get the biggest diameter suction side you can. Almost everything done to the pressure side is frosting on the cake. You need to do them, but there is more important things.

And do NOT put a cross over tube in the oil galleries. GARGANTUAN waste of time.

Thanks for the reply.. which book?

QUOTE=yellow rose;1971111555]You need to tube the #2 side oil gallery just like the book says and then stop all oil the oil to the #1 gallery...... Any pics on this item?

How can I make sure I stop all the oil to the lifters?

And what is the best route to take for oiling the rocker arms? via the push rods? or via the head studs... I am going to use solid lifters.. so then I can not use hall push rods for oiling the rockers right?

you need these mods to turn a small block over 6000 rpm?

According to the MP books.... I've taken stock oiling to 65/6600 rpm on a regular. One time max @ 6700 sustained for a while attempting a max speed run.

My engine is to be used on a drag car.

You don't need anything else done. I like to enlarge the main feeds on anything I build but the "deeper" mods noted are for sustained high rpm. Drag racing is not sustained high rpm. Run your bearing clearances .0025-.0030, run a pan with some sort of windage control and it's safe to 7K or so drag racing with that HV pump.

Thanks for the reply.. which book?

QUOTE=yellow rose;1971111555]You need to tube the #2 side oil gallery just like the book says and then stop all oil the oil to the #1 gallery...... Any pics on this item?

It's covered in the DC/MP small block engine books and some others.

While not required for 6000 RPM use, I can see ZERO reason not to block off the oil to the tappets if you are using solid lifters. There is no reason to have all that oil leakage. It is so simple to do that if you can run your microwave oven you can do the deal at home. just use a little patience. I don't do any SBM's with solid type lifters that don't have the oil blocked off. I don't care if it's my grandma's car. Grandma is gonna pay me to do it and I don't offer it any other way.

You might read Sanborns' oiling mods that are in a sticky at the top of the page at www.moparchat.com then scroll down to & click on "circle track chat" & you'll see it at the top. it'll take you awhile to peruse all of it but DEFINITELY worth the time. RR

Ive had my 5.9 magnum to 7200 on more than one ocassion.

Still all stock oiling setup

Magnums do not have the issue of oiling the valve train through the block. The oil is kept down low. So I hate to sound like a dick, but this falls under "so what."
Or did I miss something?

Magnums already have the main feeds enlarged from the factory

But they(magnums) have the WORST transition from the oil filter to the main feed and it needs to be addressed. I just did one today, wish I took some pics of the before and after.

I know it's an old thread but....So with an LA factory roller block these mods still need to be done or was some of it addressed at the transition from LA roller to Magnum roller?

I had to go through 95 Magnum (w/LA oiling holes) & open the whole path from pump, through filter & up to right side galley to 1/2" & Round off/smooth corners where I could. I think (IIRC) the vertical riser to the galley was 1/2 the whole way, but most of the other passages necked down. I cleaned up the transitions in the oil pump as well as the weld joint in the Kevco pickup tube. I thought about spending more time on the suction side, but I don't intend on hitting much over 5500/5700 very often.

-
Back