Oiling vs non oiling pushrod

-

alex perini

Reaction score
Looking for pushrods for my 440 build need to be 9.150 long ball to ball I've found tons of oiling push rods but none non oiling I can see my luniti lifters have oil hole but I know mapar uses the shaft mount system for oiling will I see any issues if I get oiling pushrods is my question

Looking for pushrods for my 440 build need to be 9.150 long ball to ball I've found tons of oiling push rods but none non oiling I can see my luniti lifters have oil hole but I know mapar uses the shaft mount system for oiling will I see any issues if I get oiling pushrods is my question

I have never done it that way, but I don't see any issue with both rocker and pushrod oiling.
Doubt you would even see any oil pressure difference running both.

I should mention that I am running Harlan Sharp rockers. Maybe bushed or stamped rockers would be affected differently. I will also be restricting the rockers a little.
Both HS and Crower techs thought it was good to run both.

I should mention that I am running Harlan Sharp rockers. Maybe bushed or stamped rockers would be affected differently. I will also be restricting the rockers a little.
Ok and how are you restricting.them ?

.060 insert in oil galleys under rocker stands is what was recomended.
What rockers are you using?

Ball/ball with stock rocker = not what I would do

Ball/cup with rocker adjusters = good idea to have a positive pressure oiling source at adjuster.

my 2 cents.

Any of the PR or some cam companies should have pushrods to fit the bill.

Ball/cup with rocker adjusters = good idea to have a positive pressure oiling source at adjuster.

my 2 cents.

They are not stock rockers 1.6 prws with ball to ball

Comp makes PR that have the holes in that length. Look in their catalog.

I might use the oil through with a non stamped rocker. Depends on how much oil gets to the when in use.

my 2 cents.

That I agree with.

I don't think you want to restrict the oil on needle bearing rockers,
You actually need more oil, a bushed rocker has a lot of surface area on the shaft, a needle bearing has very little compared to the bushing, I think you should talk to Harland Sharp about it.

I had oil through push rods on in my motor Ball&Ball style with T&D rockers. 800 miles tore the motor down after an accident. All 8 intake push rods were gulled. I never had this problem with non-oil push rods, I ordered a new set of cranes . Ball&Ball. The ends seam soft. and the intake push rods are at a hard angle

DSCN2807.JPG

DSCN2811.JPG

I had oil through push rods on in my motor Ball&Ball style with T&D rockers. 800 miles tore the motor down after an accident. All 8 intake push rods were gulled. I never had this problem with non-oil push rods, I ordered a new set of cranes . Ball&Ball. The ends seam soft. and the intake push rods are at a hard angle

View attachment 1715153955

View attachment 1715153956

What block is that in the pictures?

It is a high nickle content. 59 degree 340 Resto block. It doesn't have the upper and lower head bolts the R-3 does. This block has the factory 340 casting numbers. I wish it was an R-3 for the extra head bolts need for the heads I am using. The block will take high flex under torque with factory mounts.

Factory blocks usually need to have a front engine plate and a mid plate. so not to distort #5 or #7 cylinder walls when under high torque on launch when pulling on the mount . This usually causes the piston to come through the wall. Destroyed many factory blocks in my day.

Good to know, I just googled the different block and a r3 block pooed up and looked just yours. Lol google doesn't know everything lol

-
Back