OK - here's a new Slant 6 article in Hot Rod (checked the date this time - Aug 2017 ;-))

-
No porting ??

Took a lot of cam and probably CR to double the hp. Kewl engine would be nice in an early grandma style 4 door sleeper.

The only thing they mention about the head is the increased valve size, and they don't actually give any specs. (Ford I: 1.73", E: 1.5")
There would have to be porting of some sort to use these valves. Article is a little 'light' on information in critical areas. Either the author didn't know to ask, or the shop is being secretive. Still, 300 horses is nothing to sneeze at.

The only thing they mention about the head is the increased valve size, and they don't actually give any specs. (Ford I: 1.73", E: 1.5")
There would have to be porting of some sort to use these valves. Article is a little 'light' on information in critical areas. Either the author didn't know to ask, or the shop is being secretive. Still, 300 horses is nothing to sneeze at.

Yeah - most of what little detail they had was in the comments on the photos - I really wish they'd put the article parts in the article, instead of making you click through 20 pics to read it

That's some nifty stuff and some impressive numbers (and UNimpressive lack of specific detail on the build components...). I wonder how the results might differ with a modern cam instead of an old Ford grind, a distributorless ignition, and EFI instead of a four-barrel car potato.

There's enough detail in the valvetrain info to know this; that's an extreme amount of valve-side reduction in valvetrain mass, esp. for such small OE sized componentry.
The effect on output would be definite.
A modern grind would make better torque down low, approx the same peak, meaning nice wide curve......but would need more spring to control so............
DI & EFI ? Unless there is some misfire low spark energy issue, peak full throttle hp prob not much, driveability & mpg....would be a plus for sure. EFI only offers the same
as with other like builds, better hp#'s from improved distribution 10-20hp, but again the drive/economy plus is what it is. With this engine, economy probably isn't high on
the wish list.:) That's a Hueege freakin' cam for a slanty........................

The a $10,000 engine build. The rods alone are $1100 a piece. I guess it makes the 440 guys point...

The a $10,000 engine build. The rods alone are $1100 a piece. I guess it makes the 440 guys point...
$6600 in rods???????????? Ummmm I don't think so.........................

That's what the Summit catalog says...
Hmmmm, You have a link, 'cause Summit's site won't take that Scat part#, but the 6657's are only around $560 for a set of 8.......we're only buying 6.............

One slanter, that I know of, had a set of custom titainium rods made, and they weren't $1100, ea. If I remember correctly, they were about $400 ea.

PS: Where was it mentioned that the rods were $1100?

Last edited:
It's not mentioned. I was just curious on how much it would cost to duplicate the build. I thought I saw a set of rods listed at $1100 apiece. Not listed now. So...

Thats right up there with the $25/pc MP P2843177AB solid lifter.

https://www.summitracing.com/search/make/ford?ar=1&N=4294925198

Take your pick, there are 19 listed. But if they really did use a 6.658 rod, then that is a custom job...

That's about a stupid rod length, since there is only .041" difference between that and the stock 225 rod.

That said, I always like to sit back and watch the same people on here ***** about how no one ever does Chrysler builds, then when someone does, they ***** about it.

That last part isn't directed at you, kesteb.

funny how they missed the 198 slant and claim only the 170 & 225 were made.
Not true, they stated Chrysler made the Slanty in "mostly" the 170 & 225, I guess figuring the three year relatively unpopular run for the 198 wasn't worth the
mention. I'm sure they're relatively unaware of the popular options the engine provides for modding, either the long rods for the 225, or using the crank to
stroke the 170. & for the purpose of this article I guess there's no real value in including it, but You'd think just to be thorough....................:rolleyes:

-
Back