ok if ya can't get a wix or napa gold oil filter???

-

abodyjoe

Reaction score
ok i wanted to change the oil in the dart today.. thought i had another wix filter here somewhere but turns out its not the right one.. napa is closed and no one else around carries wix as far as i know... so what would ya use? mobile one? royal purple? i have to change it today because i have no time before we leave tuesday.

Anything is better than nothing (except for may be a Fram. lol) I would postpone the oil change and get a good filter.

I think too much is made of it. Honestly. You can go to Walmart and grab the Mopar filter 090 and you'll be fine. Or Purolator. Or Mobil 1.
Now for the scary part....... yes..... you can even run a Fram! I've known folks that changed oil every 5k miles in their cars and go 250,xxxx miles plus with out a single issue, yep, with a Fram.
I myself try to avoid Fram, but I've used them on everything in the past and never a failure.

yea not running a fram... not gonna happen.. heard way too many horror stories and looking at on cut apart makes me not want to run one even more..

can't postpone the oil change. like i said its the only free time i have before we leave for ocean city md. we are taking the dart and will probably put close to a thousand miles on it during the week...

i'll head up to the store and see what they have..

oilfilters

Now for the scary part....... yes..... you can even run a Fram! I've known folks that changed oil every 5k miles in their cars and go 250,xxxx miles plus with out a single issue, yep, with a Fram.

I had a Fram cartridge style air filter with a glued in plastic end cap fall apart on me in less than 3000 miles... and that's not soaking in hot oil. Fram had me send it in for inspection... They didn't even send me a replacement, or a credit for a new filter. Forget about all the crap that was sucked through the motor while the filter was bad and I didn't know it. They said there was no way for me to prove damages.

Friends don't let friends run Fram ;)

I think too much is made of it. Honestly. You can go to Walmart and grab the Mopar filter 090 and you'll be fine. Or Purolator. Or Mobil 1.
I myself try to avoid Fram, but I've used them on everything in the past and never a failure.

I love this post, I might just have to print and frame it for my shop wall.
I don't use fram for my mopars anymore but I use them on occasion though i only had one fall apart 'double guard' in '02 where it started to loose its inner seals and were hanging out the feed holes. I use mopar,wix,Bosch,Napa, car quest.. I also like to change the filter at 3k and the oil every 5k. With my built stuff that see's abuse and high rpms I use a different oil and change it about every 7k and filters at 3k.
*The filters are done before the oil is*

I change the filter halfway to 60% of the way through my oil change too. Cheap insurance, the few bucks for a filter and 20 ounces of oil.

Last edited:
I agree. I usually run what I can get from a place that's close by and open. The Fram that's tough guards I think...what ever is abve the orange ones. Napa right now. Hastings. No issues.

Ran frams on my kawasaki versys for 45,000 kms on a high revving 650cc twin since day one. Bike never used any oil in my possession.

Blown way out of proportion. There is a guy with an 03 vstrom 1000 with 500,000 miles on it. Uses fram and the cheapest oil he can get with 6k changes. Starting to use a bit of oil now from what I read. sounds good to me!

Why does no one run the Mopar filters?

*edit* reading back I noticed two ppl mentioned the Mopar filters.

Why does no one run the Mopar filters?

*edit* reading back I noticed two ppl mentioned the Mopar filters.
I use the Mopar 090 if I'm at Walmart. If I'm at Farm & Fleet, I use the Gold Puralator. My Pontiac usually gets the AC Delco......

-
Back