Okay, where are my 904 Torqueflite wiring experts?

-

cruiser

Reaction score
Yes, I know that there are no electrics inside the 904 Torqueflite on my 1974 225 Duster, except for the neutral safety switch. I'm seeking guidance on the tranny wiring harness routing and the clips that hold this harness in place. Does anyone know how the tranny wiring harness was routed by the factory from the firewall to the driver's side of the case where it plugs into the neutral safety switch? How many clips were there, what did they look like, and where were they located? Photos of stock original clips would be great if you have them. I'm trying to keep it really stock and correct as originally built, so please let me know what you think. Gracias!

If you want to be as correct as possible to factory I would suggest you download a factory shop service manual, There is a site online to get it, just cant remember the link, im sure others will chime in with link. Good luck

I have a factory shop manual, and there is no reference anywhere in it to the transmission wiring harness routing.

If it's pictured anywhere, likely in the factory PARTS manual. Sorry I pay little attention to this kind of thing, as I don't care much about 'restore correct." My recollection is a wire anchor on one of the bell to transmission bolts, and maybe one other, perhaps the tail housing to main housing bolt

I see there's a 74 parts book at MyMopar you can download anything there for free

MyMopar - Mopar Forums & Information - Parts & Accessories Books

Does'nt it run along the clips welded to the floor with one of the trans cooler lines?? I know later model units did have some plastic tabs to carry it along the back of the trans and up the bell. Sorry not much help, now I'll be wondering too.

I downloaded the factory parts manual for 1974 and there's no guidance that I could find about this harness and its clips. Here's what I believe is factory correct: This harness comes from the bulkhead disconnect in the engine compartment and travels to the passenger side of the firewall. There, it has a plastic rectangular clip taped into the harness that allows the rectangular slot in the plastic clip to fit into one of those bendable tabs welded onto the firewall. This holds the harness to the firewall. From there, it descends to the first clip which is attached to the circular hole in the mounting ear molded into the right front of the aluminum bell housing. This clip is an odd looking squarish clip with tabs that fit into the hole and has a round keeper at the top that the harness passes through. The harness then travels up and over the bell housing and passes through a clip attached to the top of the bell housing where it bolts to the engine. This is a simple clip with a rounded loop at the top that holds the harness. Finally, the harness travels back toward the left side where it plugs into the neutral safety switch. At this point, it passes through a final clip - another of the odd rectangular ones just like the one on the passenger side. This final clip fits into the hole in the flat ear that is molded into the case right next to the neutral safety switch. Anybody want to weigh in on this? BOB

^^For some reason I thought you had a v8, dumb "me." Anyhow, I have a 74 Scamp /6 if you can wait till "daylight" and that might be Sat, I will take some photos. It is likely unmolested. If you don't hear back from me, send a PM to give me a kick

Yeah, photos would be great. I'd be interested in photos of the actual clips ( I believe here are three ), and their exact locations on the tranny. Thanks! BOB

60F5F7B7-BD7E-4FDF-BD1D-9D85E1F4513B.jpeg
1155906B-E540-45CA-8EEA-176C7973784D.jpeg
FC41A414-7575-48B6-9028-5D50E4D13461.jpeg
C72DB982-D1DC-4FB4-BC73-72A31E1907E0.jpeg
The trans is out of my 67 B’cuda, with a floor shifter. After the last clip, the wire connected to the harness. Hope this helps.

-
Back