Old alum intake cleaning??

-

Scottd9990

Reaction score
whats a good way to clean up an old alum intake?

image.jpeg

Everything but glass bead or painting kinda works, and one of the main problems is trying to get it evenly colored and textured.
They make an aluminum paint that is in an enamel base and does not smear to the touch like the old style aluminum spray paint.
It's bright and stays that way and is called aluminum enamel. (most any hardware store that carries paint)
Some people like it and some hate it.

MagnumswapLA.jpg

I'm suprised glass beading/sand blasting isn"t a good choice.

That is actually the reply above. Short of glass beeding, chemicals were suggested.

Once you get a chemical on it, over cleaner, or a readily available cleaner in a bottle, the aluminum only gets so clean and cleared of the stains.

IMO, do the best you can with a scrub brush and what ever chemical use choose/use. Then look up "CudaChick1968" CudaChick1968
for her power coating.

I myself am not a fan of the bright aluminum paint shown above. I have used an aluminum colored paint and have been OK with it. But it isn't lustful.

So I sent my stuff to LeAnna for an Alien Silver coating. She may hav something a little closer to the new OOTB aluminum now but that was the best she had at the time.

Last edited:
Send it to @CudaChick1968 and she will make it a masterpiece.

Yep a nice "power" coat job would be nice. :D
My bad. LOL

I think it's a great choice for keeping it bare metal, but you have to really be sure about getting the bead out of it before use.
Bead is one of the media that can do the most damage with the least amount of it in my experience.

How about cleaning old greasy engine blocks and heads.

Engine degreaser, a flat blade scraper and a do it yourself car wash? :D
I have a big flat metal pan I set things in that are particularly nasty and then solvent scrub or drill wire brush.

Agreed. I would like the intake to look new not fake (painted) or dull grey color.

My Mopar M1 dual quad tunnel ram and a Mopar 6 pack both in alien silver.
DO, zoom in close.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

One thing about the powder coat, it would look the same for years. Looks great Rumble.

Thanks for the mentions gentlemen, and Rob for the pictures.

The thing about just cleaning and blasting it is that it won't stay that way on a driven car. The gunk you have now will eventually come back ... because aluminum is very porous and absorbes gasoline and road grime. Heat will make it leech out in addition to what gets put on top of it.

Powder coatings are available in thousands of colors these days. Most of my customers choose Alien Silver like Rumble up there did. Not only is it tough and easy to clean, it's UV stable with a clear coat (so you don't have to worry about oxidation or polishing) and closely replicates the sparkly look of brand new aluminum. It sparkles like diamonds in the sunlight.

But you can choose whatever works for you and your build. Just dream it up ... there are dozens of examples -- both factory style and one-off custom -- on my website (link below my signature line) and a few here on FABO in my Garage album as well. If you decide to upgrade to a Gold membership, it will also earn you a labor discount.

As an aside, I had to reload the page eleven times and edit this post over and over due to the inability to scroll within the typing box. I hate FABO on my phone now. By the time I find a photo, the page times out and the "webpage is no longer available." Ack!!!!!!!

* * * Edited yet again, but this time from my computer where stuff actually works. :D

042.JPG
003.JPG
Larry Kelso, Juan Luis Felipe, Eddie Rivera 025.JPG
Eddie Rivera 002.JPG

Last edited:
I am a fan of powder also. But I have been soda blasting my aluminum and it looks real close to the original finish.

Power steamer with bristle brush attachment works great. Followed by Eastwood's "Diamond Coat" looks good for a cheaper alternative.

You know, we have a very respected and loved member here who is absolutely second to none when it comes to powder coating. As much as we all want to support American products and services, I would think CudaChick would be the only recommendation.

Not everyone is looking for a masterpiece. If I were, she would be my first choice.

Thank you for that darlin. I only do what my customers ask and some have wilder ideas than others. I can do "stock" too.

Rusty, you rock!!! << hug >> You made my night.

dis agree, glass beading looks very nice if the glass beads are new, and you clean the intake very well to start with. I have even put clear over them before.

Take it to your local engine rebuilder or transmission shop, they can run it through a cycle in their hot tank and it will be good to go.. Mine usually does this for 10 or 15 bucks...

Yup. Your local hot tank will clean it really well. Otherwise, oven cleaner, and lots of elbow grease will do a decent job. No need to spend a ton of money.

-
Back