Old metal radiator restoration

-

DodgeLad

Skipped the Light Fandango
Reaction score
I got it pulled from my 1980 truck. It's heavy. When it dried, white chunks came out of the return when I shook it. There is also coolant stains on the outside here and there. I'm pondering taking it to a pro. But I have the means to dry pressure test it. And I thought of soaking it in radiator flush and then hosing it out. Was cooling fine and I wasn't adding much coolant at the time it was pulled. What's a good product to flush it? Any direction on how to deal with it is appreciated. Sorry if this has discussed in detail before.

That little leak will turn into a bug leak once u flush it. All the crud in there is blocking the leaks that will certainly show up once u clean it. Get it recored or another know good rad. Kim

CLR works pretty good on rads. Let it soak overnight and flush it out. If its still nasty repeat the process.

$400 for an Autozone copper/brass. Gonna go pressurize it and see what the hey. If things look promising, out for some CLR.

Pressurized and dunked it in the bathrub. 5 leaks. 2 pinholes where the core joins the top reservoir. 2 more where the inlet tube is connected to the top reservoir. And the draincock is leaking from center hole? Toss it?

That little leak will turn into a bug leak once u flush it. All the crud in there is blocking the leaks that will certainly show up once u clean it. Get it recored or another know good rad. Kim
Bug leaks are messy too.lol

Yeah, it probably should be roded out and braised up any leaks. I used to solder my tanks and filler necks all the time...and when a row leaked ..if it was in the middle somewhere n wasnt at the top or bottom seams..I'd cut it and fold it closed on both ends to get by. Sealed it.

-
Back