Old Race 340 Teardown

-
I just looked at some old photos of my 69 Dart and my Mirada when I was running the 810 W2's and Holley strip dominator intake( same one as pictured by Super Sleeper). The intake flanges on his intake look like they have had at least a 1/4 of an inch shaved off as close as I could tell from looking at his and my pictures.

W2 naroow A Fenderwells are Hedman: special order. used to be in catalog but IIRC they will still make them.

The ironic thing about the headers was that Bob knew Doug Thorley, he introduced me to him at OCIR or Pomona back in the day. I'm sure that one of the creations on the Valiant were Doug's. I'd sure like to uncover those headers out in the shed. I'm sure that I'll come up with something. The race headers (for the tube-framed Duster) are 1 3/4" primary. I could always cut them up.

If you can cut, drill & weld……
Nothing stands in your way.

The ironic thing about the headers was that Bob knew Doug Thorley, he introduced me to him at OCIR or Pomona back in the day. I'm sure that one of the creations on the Valiant were Doug's. I'd sure like to uncover those headers out in the shed. I'm sure that I'll come up with something. The race headers (for the tube-framed Duster) are 1 3/4" primary. I could always cut them up.
Locating those originals would be sweet.

So I just got the cam out. It's a Crane R-280/450-2S-8. I tried calling their tech support - it forwards to Edelbrock. Their phone menu doesn't include Crane support - so that must pretty new? Were they bought out recently?
I found a catalog that lists the grind generically. The part number on mine is BH-1617 or RH-1617. Either way, I am looking to replicate the cam card. Is Edelbrock supporting Crane under their Comp Cams umbrella?

So I just got the cam out. It's a Crane R-280/450-2S-8. I tried calling their tech support - it forwards to Edelbrock. Their phone menu doesn't include Crane support - so that must pretty new? Were they bought out recently?
I found a catalog that lists the grind generically. The part number on mine is BH-1617 or RH-1617. Either way, I am looking to replicate the cam card. Is Edelbrock supporting Crane under their Comp Cams umbrella?

It appears to be 280/280 .675/.675 with 1.5 rockers on a 108. I think the 2S denotes it was a custom grind.

Hi Super Sleeper,
A very easy way to check if the block decks are angle milled is you can get a 18"x24"
wood working square. The stock decks are 90deg from each other. Lay the square
from one deck the other. It will lay flat on each deck surface. A quick check that will
show if you need to measure farther. The 18deg valve angle is set in the head milling.
I think the chevy guy's got there angle milling idea from mopar as there small blocks
are 15deg, or as I like to tease them with. A question as I don't remember, are the
lifter banks in the X block 48deg or stock? I think others here are spot on with the
major deck milling, the square will tell you if any angle is there also.

Serious awsome post.
Thank You for it,
Rick

Hi Super Sleeper,
A very easy way to check if the block decks are angle milled is you can get a 18"x24"
from one deck the other. It will lay flat on each deck surface. A quick check that will
show if you need to measure farther. The 18deg valve angle is set in the head milling.
I think the chevy guy's got there angle milling idea from mopar as there small blocks
are 15deg, or as I like to tease them with. A question as I don't remember, are the
lifter banks in the X block 48deg or stock? I think others here are spot on with the

Serious awsome post.
Thank You for it,
Rick
Angle milling is done to the heads not the block.

Not alway's. I have seen it done on both chevy and ford + plus 1 500" caddy early mud bog engine.
Look at chevy 348-409. The first time I ran across it being done 35yrs ago, was done like
a 409 on there small block. Current you are right on but years ago you could see both way's.
It's cool we are looking at cutting edge history here, everything was tried then. Never know
what you might find on a vintage engine at this level of trick.
Thank You TT5.9 for adding that onfo as any angle milling here is on the high end side of
building. This helps everyone.

Thank You again,
Rick

@NITROTRIP I agree there were (are) weird things that go on in the specialized engine building world. That’s why I never say “always” or “never”. I’ll add this, “typically” angle milling is done to the heads. I think that’s safe.

You were alway,s safe. I liked your post, a great add to mine. This is what I like, we added
more info for others that have not been there. It helps everyone and something
to check out if they want to.
Thank You,
Rick

Hi Super Sleeper,

Serious awsome post.
Thank You for it,
Rick
Thanks, that's an easy measurement to make although I don't have a square that is that large I can certainly get one! My question is from complete ignorance, but also because when I measured the distance between the banks at the top of the China wall I got a measurement that would seem to indicate that quite a bit of material had been removed. So angle milling is done to get the valve angle right?
On the lifter bank angle, I'm pretty sure mine is the stock 59 degrees because the pushrods come pretty close to the block at the deck. Some reliefs have been ground there. I can't speak for all X-blocks.

“Crane Cams” is no more.
That’s all there is to that as far as I know.

Blue Racer …….. What about them?

-
Back