Omit carb spacer or not

-

Wvbuzzmaster

Reaction score
As most know I have the intake off of my 340 for lifter issues and have chosen to upgrade intake manifold from a regular Edelbrock Performer to an LD340, both dual planes, with the LD340 being 3/4” taller carb location. So I mocked it all up yesterday and was planning to reuse the 1 inch 4 hole carb spaced that was on the old intake, but with the new intake being taller it starts to put the throttle cable in a bind. Could probably get away with it but not sure. I could omit this spacer and fix the potential problem, but would I regret that? My kick down cable and throttle cable are on a bracket that bolts to the rear carb mounting bolt so carb height to cable relationship is consistent, no matter the height. The carb is an Edelbrock 750, may change to a 650 AVS in future. I know on Edelbrock carbs everyone tends to run spacers to avoid heat transfer into the carb but does it matter? The only performance I care about is reliability. I don’t care either way about the spacer but leaning towards omitting all together or if I should have a spacer I know they come in shorter heights too.

Engine is 340 with 10:1 TRW pistons, X heads, 284/484 cam, hooked to 727 and 3.91 rear gear. I run 93 octane also.

Imo, You answered your own question. Putting your cable in a bind leads to unforgiving results.

Or change your cable set up. This is with a 1” spacer on a Edelbrock Air Gap intake.

E44E5250-756B-4ADF-AEA5-69560608DC62.png

, You answered your own question. Putting your cable in a bind leads to unforgiving results
Agreeded, I pulled out of a parking lot in an old van only to go right back in and hit a parked car. Throttle cable stuck wide open, (yes I got on it when exiting)

Revise your cable bracket or lower carb.

Try with out spacer, if you don't have issues no bid deal, if it does revise cable bracket.

-
Back